* [Caml-list] Osiris - gtk
@ 2002-08-16 15:57 Kontra, Gergely
From: Kontra, Gergely @ 2002-08-16 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: warplayer

>I've been developping Osiris, an OCaml class-based GUI system which is
>built on top of the Win32 API OCaml Port (still partial, but complete
>enough to work with). If you're willing to develop GUIs for
>windows-only, Osiris may be a good choice. If you're willing to develop
>cross-platform applications, I have been thinking for few month now to
>write a GTK port of Osiris... when I'll have some free time :)

What about simply rewrite GTK under windows with using native windows
gui components?
Or Osiris will be better, than gtk?

ps: Where can we download Osiris?

Gergo

+-[Kontra, Gergely @ Budapest University of Technology and Economics]-+
|         Email: kgergely@mcl.hu,  kgergely@turul.eet.bme.hu          |
+-------"Olyan langesz vagyok, hogy poroltoval kellene jarnom!"-------+
.
Magyar php mirror es magyar php dokumentacio: http://hu.php.net

* Re: [Caml-list] Osiris - gtk
@ 2002-08-16 16:35 ` Nicolas Cannasse
From: Nicolas Cannasse @ 2002-08-16 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kontra, Gergely, caml-list

> >I've been developping Osiris, an OCaml class-based GUI system which is
> >built on top of the Win32 API OCaml Port (still partial, but complete
> >enough to work with). If you're willing to develop GUIs for
> >windows-only, Osiris may be a good choice. If you're willing to develop
> >cross-platform applications, I have been thinking for few month now to
> >write a GTK port of Osiris... when I'll have some free time :)
>
> What about simply rewrite GTK under windows with using native windows
> gui components?

GTK is quite a big API, porting it using native Window components will
require some time...

> Or Osiris will be better, than gtk?

Osiris is OCaml , GTK is C.
Actually there is LablGTK which is a ocaml binding for GTK , there is also
the Ocaml Win32 API, which enable you to call most of the Win32 API
functions from ocaml ( mixing ocaml / C )

Osiris is built on-top of this API, so is entirely written in OCaml . The
port I was thinking of is to write a version of Osiris which use Lablgtk
instead of the Win32 API binding. Osiris will still remain ocaml-only but
then usable either under Linux or Windows ( with GTK or Native API under
Windows ). BTW, Osiris is class-based and doesn't enable such a control of
components as GTK do.

> ps: Where can we download Osiris?

I just put the last version on http://tech.motion-twin.com with some samples
included

Nicolas Cannasse

* Re: [Caml-list] Osiris - gtk
@ 2002-08-16 18:01   ` Kontra, Gergely
From: Kontra, Gergely @ 2002-08-16 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Cannasse; +Cc: caml-list

>> ps: Where can we download Osiris?
>
>I just put the last version on http://tech.motion-twin.com with some samples
>included

Can you bundle it, that we can use it without M$VC compiler. Well, this
is the fault of Ocaml API.

@ 2002-08-16 19:10     ` Nicolas Cannasse
From: Nicolas Cannasse @ 2002-08-16 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kontra, Gergely; +Cc: caml-list

> >> ps: Where can we download Osiris?
> >
> >I just put the last version on http://tech.motion-twin.com with some
samples
> >included
>
> Can you bundle it, that we can use it without M$VC compiler. Well, this
> is the fault of Ocaml API.

it is.
precompiled binaries are in the  /bin distribution directory.

Nicolas Cannasse

* Re: [Caml-list] Osiris - gtk
@ 2002-08-26 15:43       ` Kontra, Gergely
From: Kontra, Gergely @ 2002-08-26 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Cannasse; +Cc: caml-list

>> >I just put the last version on http://tech.motion-twin.com with some
>samples
>> >included

Sorry, but it is not so easy to obtain version information...
I think there are some incompatibles between 3.04 and 3.06, because
I can't use osiris under ocaml 3.06

BTW: Wouldn't be a wxWindows port be easier (it also works on under
linux, using gtk)

@ 2002-09-02 10:07             ` Kontra, Gergely
From: Kontra, Gergely @ 2002-09-02 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Cannasse; +Cc: OCaml

>> Some sort of automatic placement will be fine. Configure, that all
>> elements in a container vill be top aligned. (=VPanel)
>> The last thing I miss is to enable auto-fill an element. (AlClient is
>> for that purpose?)
>
>yes
>try to work with the "#align" calls in order to align compents
> left/top/right/bottom/client & center are allowed ).
These alignment has "side effects": when you resize the window, they
behave differently: the left and right aligned things can stretch in y
direction, others in x direction.

>you can also use #span & #space on the containers ( windows, panels ).
>This let Osiris handle all the resize / positionning of the components,
>especially when resizing the window or adding new elements.

Well, as I can see only one component is allowed to be
client-aligned. The labels have predefined sizes, they doesn't respect
the actual data. Will osiris do some cool stuff auto-arrange components?
Creating a singe one-row entry field, which is really one row height is
a bit hacking. Specifying the height goes in pixels, not in rows.
Packing is not so simple, so it worth a tutorial.
I think osiris is now low-level to quickly develop GUIs.
Will it be higher-level, or this will be another package?

In the example programs you use mainly explicit placement. In some
examples, the background of the window, where there is no component, is
darkgrey, while the back of the labels, buttons are lighter grey.

I currently can help just with testing/suggestions and maybe some tips
writing the documentation.

@ 2002-08-28 13:48           ` Nicolas Cannasse
From: Nicolas Cannasse @ 2002-08-28 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kontra, Gergely, OCaml

> And I don't know much about geometry management.
> It seems it has some border-layout like management, but it is not so
> simple to use. I think a single wrapper, which behaves like HPanel and
> VPanel in gtk will be nice. I also wonder if I can do split-panes.

Automatic split bars are not yet implemented.
They're on my todo-list

> Some sort of automatic placement will be fine. Configure, that all
> elements in a container vill be top aligned. (=VPanel)
> The last thing I miss is to enable auto-fill an element. (AlClient is
> for that purpose?)

yes
try to work with the "#align" calls in order to align compents
 left/top/right/bottom/client & center are allowed ).
you can also use #span & #space on the containers ( windows, panels ).
This let Osiris handle all the resize / positionning of the components,
especially when resizing the window or adding new elements.

> For example how can I achieve a simple layout like this: (rolodex
> (sorry, don't know the correct spelling)
> And, if it is possible, how to have a labelled border around each row,
> like this
>
>     +-borderlabel----------+
>     |                      |
>     |  Element in the pane |
>     |                      |
>     +----------------------+

Labeled border are also not part of the API.
when you wanna have several " label : <edit> " lines you can simply create a
panel for each line ( setting #border to BdNone to hide the layout ) and
adding both the label & the edit with #align AlLeft.

Nicolas Cannasse

* Re: [Caml-list] Osiris - gtk
@ 2002-08-28 11:42         ` Kontra, Gergely
From: Kontra, Gergely @ 2002-08-28 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Cannasse; +Cc: OCaml

Hi!

Thx again for your answers.
Now the only thing I miss, is some documentation.
I read the examples, but I still have some questions.
Specially the meaning of the type border. (I wish I could have labelled
panes)
[...]

Sorry for the tons of questions, but I hope you welcome feedback. I was
so excited, that I can so easily create standalone GUI application for
windows. (and will be in the future for linux also with the help of gtk
bindings)

@ 2002-08-27 17:06       ` Nicolas Cannasse
From: Nicolas Cannasse @ 2002-08-27 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kontra, Gergely, OCaml

> Thanks, I don't know this anyway.
> If this is such a common thing, can it be automated.
> Is it true that open Osiris;; implies #load "osiris.cma" ? Or is it true
> just inside the interactive loop?

"open Osiris " will check the osiris.cmi existence and import Osiris module
into the global namespace.
... but osiris is also a librairy, so the code needs to be either linked
 when compiling with ocamlc ) or dynamicly loaded under the toplevel ( using
#load command ) before any method get called.

The 3.05+ release of OCaml enable you to directly load CMA's ( that is :
ocaml libraries ) by passing them as command line arguments.

Nicolas Cannasse

* Re: [Caml-list] Osiris - gtk
@ 2002-08-27 14:50     ` Kontra, Gergely
From: Kontra, Gergely @ 2002-08-27 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Cannasse; +Cc: OCaml

@ 2002-08-27 13:54   ` Nicolas Cannasse
From: Nicolas Cannasse @ 2002-08-27 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kontra, Gergely, OCaml

> # open Osiris;;
> # let wnd=new_window();;
> Reference to undefined global `Osiris'
> # Stack.create();;
> - : '_a Stack.t = <abstr>
> #
>
> The last line is to show, that ocaml can find the libraries.

It does.
You simply forgot the following :

# #load "osiris.cma"

which must be called prior to opening Osiris.
After creating the wnd , don't forget :

wnd#visible true;;

if you want to see it :)

Nicolas Cannasse

* Re: [Caml-list] Osiris - gtk
       [not found] <002301c24d25$43ad8850$0700a8c0@warp>
@ 2002-08-27 13:15 ` Kontra, Gergely
From: Kontra, Gergely @ 2002-08-27 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Cannasse

>> Sorry, but it is not so easy to obtain version information...
>> I think there are some incompatibles between 3.04 and 3.06, because
>> I can't use osiris under ocaml 3.06
>
>How can't u use it ?
>Any error messages ?

After installing ocaml 3.06 I've downloaded osiris

I copy dllwin32.dll to %OCAMLLIB%\stublibs
and osiris.cma and osiris.cmi to %OCAMLLIB%

After that I clicked on the created Objective Caml icon, and start
typing:

        Objective Caml version 3.06