* OCaml on Maemo
@ 2010-02-24 16:14 David Allsopp
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David Allsopp @ 2010-02-24 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCaml List

My shiny new Nokia N900 has finally arrived so, of course, having got bash,
vim and texlive successfully installed I naturally need a compiler!

Before I dig into trying to compile OCaml on Maemo 5, can I ask if anyone
else out there has already tried (and hopefully succeeded)?

David

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on Maemo
@ 2010-02-24 16:35 ` Sebastien Mondet
From: Sebastien Mondet @ 2010-02-24 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: OCaml List

On my N810, thanks to the "easy debian" technique:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Easy_Debian

I got access to all the ocaml packages which are available on debian-ARM.
Everything I tried worked perfectly (but I only tried "text mode" apps).

Sebastien Mondet

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 5:14 PM, David Allsopp <dra-news@metastack.com>wrote:

> My shiny new Nokia N900 has finally arrived so, of course, having got bash,
> vim and texlive successfully installed I naturally need a compiler!
>
> Before I dig into trying to compile OCaml on Maemo 5, can I ask if anyone
> else out there has already tried (and hopefully succeeded)?
>

> David

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on Maemo
@ 2010-02-24 16:54 ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2010-02-24 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Allsopp; +Cc: OCaml List

Am Mittwoch, den 24.02.2010, 16:14 +0000 schrieb David Allsopp:
> My shiny new Nokia N900 has finally arrived so, of course, having got bash,
> vim and texlive successfully installed I naturally need a compiler!
>
> Before I dig into trying to compile OCaml on Maemo 5, can I ask if anyone
> else out there has already tried (and hopefully succeeded)?

Yes, I've tried similar years ago on the N800 (Maemo 4, however). I ran
into this problem at that time:
http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/view.php?id=3746. The ARM code generator was
changed since then (will be released in Ocaml 3.12). Haven't tried that
yet, though.

So far I remember the byte code compiler was no problem at all. Only the
native-code compiler had these problems with FP instructions.

Gerd

> David

Gerd Stolpmann, Bad Nauheimer Str.3, 64289 Darmstadt,Germany
gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de          http://www.gerd-stolpmann.de
Phone: +49-6151-153855                  Fax: +49-6151-997714

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on Maemo
@ 2010-02-24 18:45 ` Martin DeMello
From: Martin DeMello @ 2010-02-24 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Allsopp; +Cc: OCaml List

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 9:44 PM, David Allsopp <dra-news@metastack.com> wrote:
> My shiny new Nokia N900 has finally arrived so, of course, having got bash,
> vim and texlive successfully installed I naturally need a compiler!
>
> Before I dig into trying to compile OCaml on Maemo 5, can I ask if anyone
> else out there has already tried (and hopefully succeeded)?

No, I've mostly been playing with Vala since I got mine, but I'd love
to hear how you manage with it. It's definitely on my to-do list.

martin

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on Maemo
@ 2010-02-24 21:05   ` Sebastien Mondet
From: Sebastien Mondet @ 2010-02-24 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On my N810, thanks to the "easy debian" technique:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Easy_Debian

I got access to all the ocaml packages which are available on debian-ARM.
Everything I tried worked perfectly (but I only tried to compile and use
"text mode" ocaml apps).

Sebastien Mondet

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 5:14 PM, David Allsopp <dra-news@metastack.com>wrote:

> My shiny new Nokia N900 has finally arrived so, of course, having got bash,
> vim and texlive successfully installed I naturally need a compiler!
>
> Before I dig into trying to compile OCaml on Maemo 5, can I ask if anyone
> else out there has already tried (and hopefully succeeded)?
>

> David

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on Maemo
@ 2010-02-25  8:45   ` Sebastien Ferre
From: Sebastien Ferre @ 2010-02-25  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCaml List; +Cc: Sebastien Mondet

Hi,

I have an application that I would love to run
on my N810. I know this is possible because it
has been done for Unison, including its GTK interface.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=27426

However, I haven't a clue on how this has been done.

Sebastien Mondet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On my N810, thanks to the "easy debian" technique:
> http://wiki.maemo.org/Easy_Debian

It says 2.5Gb are needed, but this includes OpenOffice
and Firefox, which I don't need. Can you detail the
"easy debian" technique for installing ocaml in a lighter
way ?

> I got access to all the ocaml packages which are available on
> debian-ARM. Everything I tried worked perfectly (but I only tried "text
> mode" apps).

GTK is part of mameo, so with luck, lablGTK should also
work. Have you tried ?

Sébastien Ferré

> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 5:14 PM, David Allsopp <dra-news@metastack.com
> <mailto:dra-news@metastack.com>> wrote:
>
>     My shiny new Nokia N900 has finally arrived so, of course, having
>     got bash,
>     vim and texlive successfully installed I naturally need a compiler!
>
>     Before I dig into trying to compile OCaml on Maemo 5, can I ask if
>     anyone
>     else out there has already tried (and hopefully succeeded)?
>

>     David

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on Maemo
@ 2010-02-25  9:40     ` Sebastien Mondet
From: Sebastien Mondet @ 2010-02-25  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Ferre, caml-list

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Sebastien Ferre
<Sebastien.Ferre@irisa.fr>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an application that I would love to run
> on my N810. I know this is possible because it
> has been done for Unison, including its GTK interface.
>
> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=27426
>
> However, I haven't a clue on how this has been done.
>

> Sebastien Mondet wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> On my N810, thanks to the "easy debian" technique:
>> http://wiki.maemo.org/Easy_Debian
>>

> It says 2.5Gb are needed, but this includes OpenOffice
> and Firefox, which I don't need. Can you detail the
> "easy debian" technique for installing ocaml in a lighter
> way ?
>
> It seems that at the time I tried (last summer), easy-debian was smaller
and fitted in the internal memory card
(my  debian-squeeze.img.ext2 file weights 1.2 GB).

What I did is:
- followed their installation instructions
- just for fun, tried once in my life to lunch open-office on a PDA :)
- played with localepurge (apt-get install localepurge) and many apt-get
remove and apt-get clean, to make space to install ocaml & co

But you can provide your own debian tree or disk-image to the easy-debian
scripts (I did not try but they say so).

>  I got access to all the ocaml packages which are available on debian-ARM.
>> Everything I tried worked perfectly (but I only tried "text mode" apps).
>>

> GTK is part of mameo, so with luck, lablGTK should also
> work. Have you tried ?

no I even removed all X11 packages.

>From debian I used: omake, extlib, pcre, and sexplib
And also camlmix and bracetax from sources.
(http://martin.jambon.free.fr/camlmix/ ; http://bracetax.berlios.de/ )

Sébastien Ferré

>  On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 5:14 PM, David Allsopp <dra-news@metastack.com<mailto:
>> dra-news@metastack.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    My shiny new Nokia N900 has finally arrived so, of course, having
>>    got bash,
>>    vim and texlive successfully installed I naturally need a compiler!
>>
>>    Before I dig into trying to compile OCaml on Maemo 5, can I ask if
>>    anyone
>>    else out there has already tried (and hopefully succeeded)?
>>

>>    David

* RE: [Caml-list] OCaml on Maemo
@ 2010-02-25 18:34   ` David Allsopp
From: David Allsopp @ 2010-02-25 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'OCaml List'

Sebastian Mondet wrote:
> On my N810, thanks to the "easy debian" technique:
> http://wiki.maemo.org/Easy_Debian
>
> I got access to all the ocaml packages which are available on debian-ARM.
Everything I tried
> worked perfectly (but I only tried "text mode" apps).

That seemed a little heavy for the first day of having it but I've
bookmarked the link for the future!

Gerd Stolpmann wrote:
> Yes, I've tried similar years ago on the N800 (Maemo 4, however). I ran
into this problem at
> that time: http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/view.php?id=3746. The ARM code
generator was changed
> since then (will be released in Ocaml 3.12). Haven't tried that yet,
though.

> So far I remember the byte code compiler was no problem at all. Only the
native-code compiler had > these problems with FP instructions.

I had the same experience with 3.11.2 - the error message from configure
could be better, but that won't matter once it's fixed in 3.12.0 (as you
say).

Martin DeMello wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 9:44 PM, David Allsopp <dra-news@metastack.com>
wrote:
> > My shiny new Nokia N900 has finally arrived so, of course, having got
> > bash, vim and texlive successfully installed I naturally need a
> > compiler!
> >
> > Before I dig into trying to compile OCaml on Maemo 5, can I ask if
> > anyone else out there has already tried (and hopefully succeeded)?
>
> No, I've mostly been playing with Vala since I got mine, but I'd love to
> hear how you manage with it. It's definitely on my to-do list.

Enabling the SDK repository allowed me to install bash, make, gcc,
libc6-dev, tcl8.5-dev, tk8.5-dev and libx11-dev.

(aside, which probably demonstrates my ignorance more than a bug/problem in
anything: I've never used aptitude before - I was amused that installing gcc
doesn't automatically upgrade glibc to the dev version as you end up with a
C compiler which can't link. Couldn't quite imagine a situation where that's
handy but hey ho!)

OCaml 3.12.0+dev17 compiles out of the box (using -prefix /opt/maemo) -
ocamlbrowser works (i.e. labltk) and ocamlopt is fine. The reference run of
a command line app of mine takes 5 mins 20 sec (impressive as it takes 31
seconds on my Intel P8600 laptop and used to take about 4:30 on the machine
on which it was originally developed).

David