From: "David Allsopp" <dra-news@metastack.com>
To: <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: RE: [Caml-list] Warnings opening modules (was: why is building ocaml hard?)
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 10:52:38 +0100	[thread overview]

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 12:08:30PM +0000, David Allsopp wrote:
> > Gerd Stolpmann wrote:

> it:
> > >
> > > I cannot give numbers, but imagine M2 is actually called Types or
> Util.
> > > This trap is a real one. It is not one that makes the build tools
> > > completely unusable, but it adds a litte bit of the unreliability
> > > that is observed by the users. If we want to address these issues
> > > ocamldep needs to be part of this effort.
> > >
> > > Successive opens are quite normal when you have packed libraries.
> >
> > Sure, but in which case, isn't encouraging (and eventually mandating)
> >
> > open ReallyCoolLibraryPack.Util
> >
> > considerably better than:
> >
> > open ReallyCoolLibraryPack
> > (* myriad more open statements *)
> > open Util
> >
> > and eventually solves considerably more problems.
>
> How does that change anything?

I don't follow what you mean - what I propose changing is that [open Util]
would cause a warning and eventually, in some future version of OCaml, be
rejected by the compiler. The problem it would solve is that
ocamldep/whatever knows that open Foo always refers to a toplevel (or fully
qualified) module path.

> A (for me) more common code would be:
>
>     open ReallyCoolLibraryPack
>     (* myriad more open statements *)
>
>     Util.foo bla baz
>     module Bla = Util.MAKE(M : FOOABLE)
>
> You still get the same dependency on ReallyCoolLibraryPack.Util,
> ReallyCoolLibraryPack.Util.MAKE, ReallyCoolLibraryPack.FOOABLE, ...
> without successive opens.

Indeed, that's my preference, although I'm stupidly picky and actually
prefer to write:

module Util = ReallyCoolLibraryPack.Util

but that comes under my list of "strange habits which normal people don't
agree with" :o) I'm allergic to anything which involves a wildcard ([open
ReallyCoolLibraryPack] being rather too like writing [import
ReallyCoolLibraryPack.*;])

> being eliminated by giving:

> > > MyOwnProjectModule.
> > >
> > > I think that we need a syntax for toplevel module paths (e.g. I
> > > suggested "open ^MyOwnProjectModule", resembling anchored regular
> expressions).
> >
> > Indeed, but rather than adding yet another piece of syntax, does it
> cause so much pain to move in the direction of just making the open
> declaration always require a toplevel module path?
>
> It's not just open but every module path anywhere.

Possibly addressing a separate problem here. However, that can be fixed (I
think) by adding an warning if an open statement shadows locally available
modules. e.g. if module FooPack contains module Foo then [open FooPack]
would trigger a warning if there is another module Foo either already
defined previously in the ml file (for the very ugly case where your [open]
statements are littered through your sources!) or if it's defined by having
Foo.ml/Foo.cmi/Foo.cmo present. In this case, you'd have to use the form
[module Foo = FooPack.Foo] to avoid the warning - and of course you then
provide syntax which ocamldep can use to work out the correct dependency.

However, that's a problem in both ideas, I think?

David