* [Caml-list] graphical variant editor widget generator
@ 2001-12-15 20:33 Jeff Henrikson
From: Jeff Henrikson @ 2001-12-15 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I am thinking that rather than building a bunch of custom GUI behavior for my application, it might be nice to have a tool which
could parse a ocaml datatype of nested variants/records, and generate a custom graphical tree/graph editor widget for it.  Then I
could get my app-specific behavior for cheap, with a UI contract that would make my style self-consistent whether I liked it or
not.  Has anyone done anything similar?

Jeff Henrikson

* Re: [Caml-list] graphical variant editor widget generator
@ 2001-12-16  9:07 ` Sven
From: Sven @ 2001-12-16  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Henrikson; +Cc: caml-list

On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 03:33:38PM -0500, Jeff Henrikson wrote:
> I am thinking that rather than building a bunch of custom GUI behavior for my application, it might be nice to have a tool which
> could parse a ocaml datatype of nested variants/records, and generate a custom graphical tree/graph editor widget for it.  Then I
> could get my app-specific behavior for cheap, with a UI contract that would make my style self-consistent whether I liked it or
> not.  Has anyone done anything similar?

I have proposed such a a thing as a maitrise TER project, but it seems none of
the student choose it.

It is a very nice idea, and it could be used, not only for variants/records
datatypes, but one could also use the functional types to drive different kind
of user feedback automatically, i am doing something such in a project i am
working on for my phd, but with a custom lambda-calculus evaluator.

This requires access to the type of an object, something which is not
available in ocaml, so you would need an external tool, which parses your
program and generate the correct interface.

I would gladly participate in any project who aims at producing such a tool,
or even just for discution on this subject.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

* Re: [Caml-list] graphical variant editor widget generator
@ 2001-12-16 13:13 ` Warp
From: Warp @ 2001-12-16 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> I am thinking that rather than building a bunch of custom GUI behavior for
my application, it might be nice to have a tool which
> could parse a ocaml datatype of nested variants/records, and generate a
custom graphical tree/graph editor widget for it.  Then I
> could get my app-specific behavior for cheap, with a UI contract that
would make my style self-consistent whether I liked it or
> not.  Has anyone done anything similar?

There is a technology called JXUL which is part of the Mozilla project. You
can get infos @ www.jxul.org
I've also tried to make the same as based on an XML document that will
contains components and some events handlers written in OCaml, but it's
quite a big work.

Bye
Warp

* Re: [Caml-list] graphical variant editor widget generator
@ 2001-12-16 13:13   ` Warp
From: Warp @ 2001-12-16 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: caml-list

> On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 03:33:38PM -0500, Jeff Henrikson wrote:
> > I am thinking that rather than building a bunch of custom GUI behavior
for my application, it might be nice to have a tool which
> > could parse a ocaml datatype of nested variants/records, and generate a
custom graphical tree/graph editor widget for it.  Then I
> > could get my app-specific behavior for cheap, with a UI contract that
would make my style self-consistent whether I liked it or
> > not.  Has anyone done anything similar?
>
> I have proposed such a a thing as a maitrise TER project, but it seems
none of
> the student choose it.
>
> It is a very nice idea, and it could be used, not only for
variants/records
> datatypes, but one could also use the functional types to drive different
kind
> of user feedback automatically, i am doing something such in a project i
am
> working on for my phd, but with a custom lambda-calculus evaluator.
>
> This requires access to the type of an object, something which is not
> available in ocaml, so you would need an external tool, which parses your
> program and generate the correct interface.
>
> I would gladly participate in any project who aims at producing such a
tool,
> or even just for discution on this subject.
>
> Friendly,

Stupid students :) They don't know what's good :)

I'll too enjoy to discuss on this subject, because i've work a little on it.
My technology is called XObjects and is a way to create and init C++ Classes
Instances from an XML Document. I'm done with the Core and it works great.
Now you got an API so that you can write your own XObjects and dynamicly
link them.
... but i don't know if it's the better place to talk about that !

Warp