* [Caml-list] Thanks
@ 2001-11-08 17:10 Eric Newhuis
From: Eric Newhuis @ 2001-11-08 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml

I just wanted to send a brief note of thanks to everyone who has helped my
in my plight.  As I originally stated I needed help clearing the cobwebs
from my thinking and the response was somewhat overwhelming.

I think I've learned numerous things from this experience and I will
continue to be grateful for your contributions.

Sincerely,
Eric Newhuis

* [Caml-list] Thanks
@ 2001-02-14  5:58 Ruchira Datta
From: Ruchira Datta @ 2001-02-14  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I would like to thank Pierre Weis for all his hard work moderating this list.
I hope he does not feel it was thankless; I certainly appreciated it.  He has
done quite an amazing job at what must be an overwhelming task.

I did not understand why some felt the synchronous nature of the list to be
a problem.  Email is read synchronously anyway (whether moderated or not);
it is not chat.  Most of the discussions I have seen are not urgent requests;
they can keep a little while.  There's another forum for such requests anyway:
the comp.lang.ml newsgroup.  However, I read the mailing list much more
religiously than the newsgroup, which must in large part be due to Pierre
Weis's moderation.  Previously each forum filled a different niche: high
throughput versus high information content.  (I am not denigrating the
newsgroup, but the difference was noticeable.)

Georges Mariano wrote:

> May I quote Xavier :

> <<Pierre Weis and I finally did
> *** what we planned to do for a while:***
>  manage the caml-list under Majordomo.>>

>  So, in fact this is not my own idea...

This is a specious inference.  As Xavier also said, both moderated and
unmoderated lists can be managed with Majordomo.

The idea that it will be easier to keep up with the list if it is
unmoderated runs counter to both reason and experience, but I guess now
we will have a chance to find out.  Let me add that I consider myself
still an Ocaml beginner, yet I have had no trouble perceiving the value
in Pierre Weis's moderation.

> À partir de quand est-on <<amateur éclairé>> ??
> PS : J'allais dire <<combien d'euros ??>>, mais là, c'est (très) méchant...

Indeed, it is completely undeserved and ungrateful.  It is a slap in the
face to the people who have given us so much.  So why say it at all?

Perhaps it was meant in jest.  Email is not a good medium for jests like
this.  Another good reason for having a moderator...

Ruchira Datta
datta@math.berkeley.edu