* ocaml 3.11, Vista 64/cygwin/gcc4
@ 2009-01-26 16:31 Jacques Carette
From: Jacques Carette @ 2009-01-26 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Has anyone managed to compile 3.11 on Vista 64 under cygwin using gcc4
[and without flexlink]?

Compilation of byterun/interp.c fails miserably, with most _caml_
symbols returning 'undefined reference's.

Strangely, configure thinks that my system is 32 bits, which is quite
possibly another source of problems.

Jacques

PS: I'll soon enough install some flavour of Ubuntu on this machine too,
which should fix my problems.  But in the meantime, I would still like
to be able to keep on working!

* RE: [Caml-list] ocaml 3.11, Vista 64/cygwin/gcc4
@ 2009-01-26 17:22 ` David Allsopp
From: David Allsopp @ 2009-01-26 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Jacques Carette wrote:

> > Has anyone managed to compile 3.11 on Vista 64 under cygwin using gcc4
> > [and without flexlink]?

Is that possible? I believe that flexlink is needed for all Windows ports
(Cygwin included - as in README.win32) as it's used internally to simplify
linking even when creating Cygwin executables.

> Compilation of byterun/interp.c fails miserably, with most _caml_
> symbols returning 'undefined reference's.

So that could be related to the above?

> Strangely, configure thinks that my system is 32 bits, which is quite
> possibly another source of problems.

Cygwin is 32 bit - so this is entirely correct. When you run Cygwin's bash,
you're in the WOW subsystem and will so the architecture will report itself
as 32-bit (if you look in task manager then you'll see that bash.exe is
starred).

> Jacques
>
> PS: I'll soon enough install some flavour of Ubuntu on this machine
> too,
> which should fix my problems.  But in the meantime, I would still like
> to be able to keep on working!

I imagine that there's a reason that you're both building your own OCaml and
also using the Cygwin port specifically but just in case: the MinGW and
MSVC64 builds both definitely work on Vista64...

David