From: "David McClain" <dmcclain1@mindspring.com>
To: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@indiegamedesign.com>,
	"caml" <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Wish List for Large Mutable Objects
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 20:32:22 -0700	[thread overview]

... I'm open to reasoned feedback, of course. Yours seemed overtly hostile
to me, as though you were somehow protecting the virtue of your young
sister, OCaml, against inferred accostations.

How is it you claim to speak for my C++ manager about scatter gather? It
appears that you have some real boundary issues here, and this probably
needs to be taken offline...

I was actually addressing most of my comments to the language designers
themselves, without referring to them by name. I am perfectly capable of
adding such primitives to the core language myself. But I was offering some
useful insight into the way that scientists view the universe, as contrasted
with conventional programming language design. If the language would choose
to implement some of these additions it could become more immediately
attractive to the audience in my corner of the universe. That's all....

I see, after thinking some time about the Array1, Array2, etc., versus
Generic Arrays, that Xavier et al needed to protect the typability of their
language, and so they made a concession to the masses in restricting the
convenient x.{ix1, ix2}, etc. syntax to the more common uses. In any event,
handling arbitrary arrays, I'm unlikely to use this syntax anyway,
preferring the more general Get/Set primitives on computed index lists. So,
in this case, I have answered my own question, and I'm not really losing
anything by their choice.

David McClain
Senior Corporate Scientist
Avisere, Inc.