From: "Harry Chomsky" <harry@chomsky.net>
To: "Gurr, David \(MED, self\)" <David.Gurr@med.ge.com>
Cc: <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: ocaml w32 list? RE: [Caml-list] lablGL + cygwin
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 21:37:41 -0800	[thread overview]

Well, playing devil's advocate, I might suggest that there should also be a
separate list for OCaml on Unix systems, or perhaps on Linux systems only,
or on Debian only, or ...

Seriously, though, one of the things I most appreciate about OCaml is the
fact that it has an excellent-quality implementation on Win32 and that the
developers do not treat Win32 as a "second-class citizen" as far as release
schedules, prominence in the documentation, and so forth.  If the main list
is to include OS-specific discussions at all, I would hope that Win32
discussions would be encouraged as much as any other OS.  Creating a
separate, additional list for those discussions would only create confusion
and splinter the community, as far as I can tell.

Is anybody concerned that Win32-specific discussions are occupying too much
bandwidth on the list?  I've never noticed this to be the case (though I
suppose I may have a biased perspective here).  As long as the volume of
messages on the subject remains manageable, I think it's a bit silly to
worry that non-Win32 subscribers will be annoyed by the content of those
messages.  Uninterested, perhaps, but we hardly need a separate list for
each topic that some users might be uninterested in.