* OCaml on Windows help
@ 2007-10-14 13:14 Raj Bandyopadhyay
From: Raj Bandyopadhyay @ 2007-10-14 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi

I installed OCaml on Windows XP (the MSVC version, since I assume
that's faster than
the Cygwin version?). I'm having trouble compiling OCaml programs
from the command line and I wonder if it's a bug or just my lack of
Windows knowledge.

I created a sample program test.ml and here's what happens

 > ocamlopt -o test.exe test.ml
-----------
'ml' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file

Assembler error, input left in file....
-------------

Using ocamlc instead of ocamlopt seems to work fine, at least there are
no compilation errors.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks
Raj

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on Windows help
@ 2007-10-14 13:34 ` Dominique Martinet
From: Dominique Martinet @ 2007-10-14 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raj Bandyopadhyay; +Cc: caml-list

Hello,

>  > ocamlopt -o test.exe test.ml
> -----------
> 'ml' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file
>
> Assembler error, input left in file....
> -------------

The "'ml' is not recognized..." message is a windows message telling
that it is trying to run the test.ml file.
You could try again after renaming ocamlopt into ocamlopt.exe (if it's
not already), windows has _some_ problems with file extensions (and I
recall seeing a few ocaml executable without .exe extension).
You can also try with quotes around "test.ml".

Good luck

* RE: [Caml-list] OCaml on Windows help
@ 2007-10-14 17:55 ` David Allsopp
From: David Allsopp @ 2007-10-14 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> I installed OCaml on Windows XP (the MSVC version, since I assume
> that's faster than the Cygwin version?).

MinGW/Cygwin is faster than MSVC port for bytecode. README.win32 contains a
full comparison of the three Windows ports. I don't know whether anyone's
benchmarked MASM vs Gas for performance of programs compiled with ocamlopt,
however...

David