* 3.10.0 win xp mingw library path problems
@ 2007-08-24 10:14 Marcus Uneson
From: Marcus Uneson @ 2007-08-24 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

after installing ocaml-3.10.0-win-mgw.exe on WinXP
the OCamlWinPlus v1.9RC4 says

Objective Caml version 3.10.0

# Big_int.big_int_of_int 32;;
Reference to undefined global `Big_int'
# Big_Int.big_int_of_int 32;;
Wrong file naming: C:\Program2\ocaml\lib\big_Int.cmi
contains the compiled interface for Big_int

Other libraries seem to work in OCamlWinPlus. However,

> c:\ocaml\test>ocaml

says

>        Objective Caml version 3.08.1
>
>Fatal error: exception Env.Error(_)

OCAMLLIB is set to <...>\ocaml\lib

Uninstalling and reinstalling made no difference.
Assuming problems in matching case-insensitive and case-sensitive paths, but it can hardly be a new problem... Grateful for suggestions.

/Marcus

---------------------------------------
Marcus Uneson
Dept. of Linguistics
Lund University

Phone:   +46 46 222 04 39
Fax:     +46 46 222 42 10
e-mail:  marcus.uneson@ling.lu.se
www:     http://person.sol.lu.se/MarcusUneson/

* RE: [Caml-list] 3.10.0 win xp mingw library path problems
@ 2007-08-24 11:03 ` David Allsopp
From: David Allsopp @ 2007-08-24 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> Hi,
>
> after installing ocaml-3.10.0-win-mgw.exe on WinXP
> the OCamlWinPlus v1.9RC4 says
>
> Objective Caml version 3.10.0
>
> # Big_int.big_int_of_int 32;;
> Reference to undefined global `Big_int'

You haven't loaded nums.cma - execute #load "nums.cma";;

> # Big_Int.big_int_of_int 32;;
> Wrong file naming: C:\Program2\ocaml\lib\big_Int.cmi
> contains the compiled interface for Big_int

OCaml requires the case of a module name to be the same as the interface
filename (.cmi) - even under windows - except that the first character may
be either lowercase or uppercase (presumably to allow for the difference in
general naming conventions under Windows/UNIX though I don't know the exact
history). When you tried Big_int.big_int_of_int before, OCaml knew what you
meant in terms of typing because big_int.cmi is in your OCaml lib directory
(it just couldn't actually run it because you hadn't loaded nums.cma which
contains the actual code in big_int.cmo). Saying Big_Int.foo requires
big_Int.cmi which doesn't exist and so causes the different error.

> Other libraries seem to work in OCamlWinPlus. However,

I've never OCamlWinPlus but...

> >        Objective Caml version 3.08.1

I thought you were working with OCaml 3.10.0? Env.Error(_) is part of the
typing part of the compiler - I'm not sure, but I don't think that this
exception should make it to the toplevel! Is there something strange in your
.ocamlinit file or have you missed off part of the transcript? Or is your
OCAMLLIB pointing to the 3.10.0 lib rather than a 3.08.1 lib?

HTH,

David