From: Gerd Stolpmann <gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de>
To: "Vijay Chakravarthy" <vchakravarthy@verticalnet.com>,
	"Vijay Chakravarthy" <vchakravarthy@verticalnet.com>,
	<lionel.fourquaux@wanadoo.fr>, "'Chris Hecker'" <checker@d6.com>
Cc: <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Re: OCaml for Windows: a suggestion
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 19:20:53 +0100	[thread overview]

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Vijay Chakravarthy wrote:
>While we are on this topic, some observations (trying to coordinate my
>windows based Ocaml development with the rest
>of my team (they use Linux, I have a laptop and use Win2000)) that can be
>considered feedback:
>
>1. findlib etc dont work on windows, and there is enough of  a difference
>between make and nmake that most make scripts break.
>That causes a bunch of packages to be difficult to build under windows
>(difficult enough to put off novice programmers that
>I'm trying to get hooked on Ocaml)
>2. I guess 1. stems from dbm not being available on windows. Would it be
>difficult to have an interface to Sleepycat's version on windows,
>and make that part of the standard distrib?

No, this is not the reason. The problem with findlib (and other packages) is
that there are no shell scripts under Windows. Findlib uses scripts for
configuration, and for the installation of new packages. It is possible to
replace these scripts by O'Caml programs; but it is not a simple task.

Of course, there is a second problem: I neither have a Windows system nor the
VC compiler. (Ok, there is now the cygwin port, but it should be compatible
enough such that findlib works (with little effort), so the cygwin port is not
the problem.)

>3. Since fork() doesnt work on windows, I cant use most of the web-server
>type stuff written in Ocaml. It would be nice to have
>a (medusa,thttpd,zeus) style single threaded web-server based on equeues. It
>would also rock -- performance wise (upto a certain
>number of users I guess)

I would appreciate such a server, too.

Gerd