* [Caml-list] Open class type definition ?
@ 2001-04-22  3:44 Gregoire Sutre
From: Gregoire Sutre @ 2001-04-22  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

I'm trying to use the Object model of OCaml and I'm having trouble with the
class types.

My goal is to have datatypes that can be easily converted into strings for
debugging purposes.  So instead of enclosing each datatype inside a
dedicated module with a to-string() function (that would lead to a huge
number of modules), I thought that I could use an object type instead,
saying that there is *at least* a method to_string(), and define my
datatypes as classes with *at least* a to_string() method inside each class.

For instance, I could specify an ordered type this way:

module type ORDERED_TYPE =
  sig
    type t = < to_string : unit -> string >
    val compare : t -> t -> int
  end

This would ensure that the type t has a to_string() method, and then I could
have the following functor:

module Funct(A : ORDERED_TYPE) =
  struct
    let display_cmp x y = x#to_string() ^ " cmp " ^ x#to_string() ^
                          " = " ^ (string_of_int (A.compare x y))
  end

where I could use to_string().

The problem is that the declaration for type t above:

type t = < to_string : unit -> string >

actually enforces objects to have only the to_string method and no other
public methods.  But the compare function may need to read the contents of
the objects, and for that it would need public accessors.  Consider for
instance the following module:

module Foo =
  struct
    class my_int x =
      object
        val mutable v = x
        method to_string () = "Int(" ^ (string_of_int v) ^")"
        method get_v = v
        method set_v new_v = v <- new_v
      end

    type t = my_int
    let compare (x:t) (y:t) = compare x#get_v y#get_v
  end

In this module, the compare function reads the integer value stored in the
objects to perform its job.  But then, the type t of the Foo module does not
correspond to the type t of the ORDERED_TYPE signature and I can not apply
the functor to Foo:

[...]
Type declarations do not match:
  type t = my_int
is not included in
  type t = < to_string : unit -> string >

So I tried to define the type t in the signature so that it does not enforce
objects to have only the to_string method.  I tried the following open type:

type t = < to_string : unit -> string; .. >

but I get the error:

Unbound type parameter <..>

I also tried the # construct, without success:

# class type class_t = object val to_string : unit -> string end;;
class type class_t = object val to_string : unit -> string end
# type t = #class_t;;
Unbound row variable in
#class_t

Is it possible to define such open class types.  And if not then why is it
so ?

Greg.

--
Gregoire Sutre                      144MB Cory Hall
sutre@eecs.berkeley.edu             University of California

* Re: [Caml-list] Open class type definition ?
@ 2001-04-23 18:21 ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2001-04-23 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregoire Sutre, caml-list

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Gregoire Sutre wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to use the Object model of OCaml and I'm having trouble with the
>class types.
>
>My goal is to have datatypes that can be easily converted into strings for
>debugging purposes.  So instead of enclosing each datatype inside a
>dedicated module with a to-string() function (that would lead to a huge
>number of modules), I thought that I could use an object type instead,
>saying that there is *at least* a method to_string(), and define my
>datatypes as classes with *at least* a to_string() method inside each class.
>
>For instance, I could specify an ordered type this way:
>
>module type ORDERED_TYPE =
>  sig
>    type t = < to_string : unit -> string >
>    val compare : t -> t -> int
>  end

This module type is already problematic. The O'Caml types are very strict, and
this definition of 'compare' means that the function can only call the
to_string method, and nothing more.

[...]
>module Funct(A : ORDERED_TYPE) =
>  struct
>    let display_cmp x y = x#to_string() ^ " cmp " ^ x#to_string() ^
>                          " = " ^ (string_of_int (A.compare x y))
>  end
[...]
>module Foo =
>  struct
>    class my_int x =
>      object
>        val mutable v = x
>        method to_string () = "Int(" ^ (string_of_int v) ^")"
>        method get_v = v
>        method set_v new_v = v <- new_v
>      end
>
>    type t = my_int
>    let compare (x:t) (y:t) = compare x#get_v y#get_v
>  end
>
>In this module, the compare function reads the integer value stored in the
>objects to perform its job.  But then, the type t of the Foo module does not
>correspond to the type t of the ORDERED_TYPE signature and I can not apply
>the functor to Foo:
>
>[...]
>Type declarations do not match:
>  type t = my_int
>is not included in
>  type t = < to_string : unit -> string >

The problem is that subtyping is not allowed when the compiler checks whether
an implementation matches a signature. (Can somebody of the experts explain
this?) Declaring t with an ellipsis ("..") does change nothing, because even
if the compiler accepted t =  to_string : unit -> string; ..> it would be still
necessary that the subtyping relation t :> my_int holds.

So the consequences for program design are:
 - Use classes when subclassing and/or subtyping is needed
 - Use functors when information hiding is more important
 - Do not mix both concepts in the sense that applying a functor bases on a
   subtyping relation

The possible solutions for your concrete problem:

(1) Prefer classes:

module type ORDERED_TYPE =  sig
  class type t =
    object
       method to_string : unit -> string
       method compare : t -> int
    end
end

(2) Accept that the class t is only a "vehicle" for a certain effect, and make
the method get_v accessible:

module type ORDERED_TYPE =  sig
  class type ['a] t =
    object
       method to_string : unit -> string
       method get_v : 'a
    end
end

(3) Consider also the following solution without classes: (similar to (2))

module type ORDERED_TYPE =  sig
  type t_base
  type t = { to_string : unit -> string; v : t_base }
  val compare : t -> t -> int
end

module Foo =  struct
  type t_base = int
  type t = { to_string : unit -> string; v : t_base }
  let make n =
    { to_string = (fun () -> "Int(" ^ string_of_int n ^ ")");
      v = n;
    }
  let compare (x:t) (y:t) = compare x.v y.v
end

module Funct(A : ORDERED_TYPE) =
struct
  let display_cmp x y = x.A.to_string() ^ " cmp " ^ y.A.to_string() ^
  " = " ^ (string_of_int (A.compare x y))
end

I have also a fourth solution, but I do not recommend it: Misuse polymorphic
variants to tag the type explicitly, and use a central to_string like

let to_string x =
  match Obj.magic x with
    `Int n -> Int(" ^ string_of_int n ^ ")"
   | ... other cases ...

This is unsafe, and you will get segfaults if type passed to to_string is not
any of the enumerated variants.

Gerd