From: Alain Frisch <alain@frisch.fr>
To: "Gabriel Scherer" <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com>,
	"Christoph Höger" <christoph.hoeger@tu-berlin.de>
Cc: caml users <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] 4.04 linker woes
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 23:04:57 +0100	[thread overview]

On 07/11/2016 21:30, Gabriel Scherer wrote:
> Compplugin is a module from the compiler distribution that indeed is new
> in 4.04.0. It is not included in ocamlcommon.cma. It is part of
> ocamlbytecomp.cma, but not of ocamloptcomp.cma, and I believe that the
> latter omission is a bug (as Optcompile depends on it), so maybe it
> should really be in ocamlcommon.cma.

ocamlopt now includes ocamlbytecomp.cma. The reason is that the copy of
Dynlink which is now included in ocamlopt relies on many modules found
in this library.   This is not ideal, as this will force linking
unneeded modules in ocamlopt (well, -linkall is not currently used, but
to make ocamlc/ocamlopt work well with plugins, it probably should).

I guess the fix is to add ocamlbytecomp wherever ocamloptcomp is required.

> As a workaround, you may be able to link to the compplugin module
> separately, it is installed in the $(ocamlfind query compiler-libs)
> directory.

Compplugin depends on Compdynlink (which depends on many modules in
ocamlbytecomp.cma); it cannot simply be linked separately, I think.

-- Alain