* Re: [Caml-list] The F#.NET Journal
@ 2007-04-18  9:32 Robert Pickering
From: Robert Pickering @ 2007-04-18  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rich, jon; +Cc: caml-list

		Depends what one means by "real operating" systems. But yes it will run under linux using mono, I believe people have tried it on OS X too and it didn't work but this was due to a fault in Mono's implemenation of tail call. A bug report has been filed with the mono team so a fix should be forth coming.

The source of the implementation is available, but the license is not, for the moment, open source.

Cheers,
Rob

From: Jon Harrop @ 2007-04-18 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Wednesday 18 April 2007 10:32, Robert Pickering wrote:
> 		Depends what one means by "real operating" systems. But yes it will run
> under linux using mono,

From a recent benchmark I did, Mono is very, very slow. I've no idea what
they're doing wrong but I was seeing 10-30x slower than .NET.

So if you're interested in performance, I recommend writing code in the
intersection of OCaml and F#. That can be tricky though, because operator
overloading is just so damn nice. ;-)

The F#.NET Journal
http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/fsharp_journal/?e

* Re: [Caml-list] The F#.NET Journal
@ 2007-04-19 16:50     ` Gilles FALCON
From: Gilles FALCON @ 2007-04-19 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Hurt; +Cc: Richard Jones, Caml List

Hello,

F# comes with a nice IDE,  I think  another IDE (as eclipse for ie)
could help people to come to ocaml.
Ocaml tools with Emacs are nice for strong programmer.

Just my two cents.

Gilles

@ 2007-04-19  0:04     ` skaller
From: skaller @ 2007-04-19  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Hurt; +Cc: Richard Jones, Caml List

On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 18:57 -0400, Brian Hurt wrote:

> Overall, I see F# as a good thing for Ocaml.  OK, it draws some of it's
> support from the Ocaml community (John Harrop here being an obvious
> example)- thus dilluting the pool of energy from Ocaml, at least in the
> short term.

That's a product of INRIA's Cathedral. There's a door on the
Church where I can pin bug reports.

>  But any F# programmer can pick up Ocaml in short order, and
> vice versa (not unlike the C#/Java communities).

>From a software engineering viewpoint all we have
is a superficial resemblance.

* Re: [Caml-list] The F#.NET Journal
@ 2007-04-18 22:57   ` Brian Hurt
From: Brian Hurt @ 2007-04-18 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Jones; +Cc: Jon Harrop, Caml List

@ 2007-04-18  8:53 ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2007-04-18  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Harrop; +Cc: Caml List

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 09:06:38PM +0100, Jon Harrop wrote:

> Flying Frog Consultancy just started the F#.NET Journal, an on-line
> publication composed of articles, example source code and tutorial videos
> aimed at beginner programmers learning the F# programming language from
> Microsoft Research:
[...]

--
Richard Jones