* [Caml-list] Policy to merge pull requests in the opam repository
@ 2017-05-16 15:38 Helmut Brandl
From: Helmut Brandl @ 2017-05-16 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml users

Hello list,

I have managed to prepare a new version of the Albatross verifier and want to release the new version in the opam repository.

I have done all preparations, i.e. written the needed files opam,descr and url, pinned the version locally, forked the opam repository and created a pull request. My pull request has passed all tests which are triggered by the github workflow automatically.

What is the policy to get my pull request merged. Do I just have to wait for feedback or are some other actions needed by me to trigger the merge. It is my understanding that the merge can only be done by people who have write access to the opam repository. How is the frequency?

I don’t want to urge anything. I just want to understand the policy.

Regards
Helmut

* [Caml-list] Fwd: Policy to merge pull requests in the opam repository
@ 2017-05-16 15:52 ` Helmut Brandl
From: Helmut Brandl @ 2017-05-16 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml users

Sorry for my impatience. I’ve just got the message that my pull request has been merged.

However the package is not yet installable via the command ‘opam install alba’. Does this only take some time as well?

Regards
Helmut

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Helmut Brandl <helmut.brandl@gmx.net>
> Subject: [Caml-list] Policy to merge pull requests in the opam repository
> Date: May 16, 2017 at 10:38:07 CDT
> To: caml users <caml-list@inria.fr>
>
> Hello list,
>
> I have managed to prepare a new version of the Albatross verifier and want to release the new version in the opam repository.
>
> I have done all preparations, i.e. written the needed files opam,descr and url, pinned the version locally, forked the opam repository and created a pull request. My pull request has passed all tests which are triggered by the github workflow automatically.
>
> What is the policy to get my pull request merged. Do I just have to wait for feedback or are some other actions needed by me to trigger the merge. It is my understanding that the merge can only be done by people who have write access to the opam repository. How is the frequency?
>
> I don’t want to urge anything. I just want to understand the policy.
>
> Regards
> Helmut
>
> --

* Re: [Caml-list] Fwd: Policy to merge pull requests in the opam repository
@ 2017-05-16 15:55   ` Romain Calascibetta
From: Romain Calascibetta @ 2017-05-16 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Helmut Brandl, caml users

You need to launch `opam update` before :) !

Regards,

Romain Calascibetta

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 10:53 PM Helmut Brandl <helmut.brandl@gmx.net>
wrote:

> Sorry for my impatience. I’ve just got the message that my pull request
> has been merged.
>
> However the package is not yet installable via the command ‘opam install
> alba’. Does this only take some time as well?
>
> Regards
> Helmut
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> *From: *Helmut Brandl <helmut.brandl@gmx.net>
> *Subject: **[Caml-list] Policy to merge pull requests in the opam
> repository*
> *Date: *May 16, 2017 at 10:38:07 CDT
> *To: *caml users <caml-list@inria.fr>
>

> Hello list,
>
> I have managed to prepare a new version of the Albatross verifier and want
> to release the new version in the opam repository.
>
> I have done all preparations, i.e. written the needed files opam,descr and
> url, pinned the version locally, forked the opam repository and created a
> pull request. My pull request has passed all tests which are triggered by
> the github workflow automatically.
>
> What is the policy to get my pull request merged. Do I just have to wait
> for feedback or are some other actions needed by me to trigger the merge.
> It is my understanding that the merge can only be done by people who have
> write access to the opam repository. How is the frequency?
>
> I don’t want to urge anything. I just want to understand the policy.
>
> Regards
> Helmut
>
> --

* Re: [Caml-list] Policy to merge pull requests in the opam repository
@ 2017-05-16 15:57 ` Anil Madhavapeddy
From: Anil Madhavapeddy @ 2017-05-16 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Helmut Brandl; +Cc: caml users

On 16 May 2017, at 23:38, Helmut Brandl <helmut.brandl@gmx.net> wrote:

> I have managed to prepare a new version of the Albatross verifier and want to release the new version in the opam repository.
>
> I have done all preparations, i.e. written the needed files opam,descr and url, pinned the version locally, forked the opam repository and created a pull request. My pull request has passed all tests which are triggered by the github workflow automatically.
>
> What is the policy to get my pull request merged. Do I just have to wait for feedback or are some other actions needed by me to trigger the merge. It is my understanding that the merge can only be done by people who have write access to the opam repository. How is the frequency?

Deari Helmut,

Thanks for being so diligent with your testing before submitting a pull request to opam-repository. The PRs are reviewed by the various maintainers to opam-repository, and generally merged within a day or two if there are no problems with the CI tests.  The tests include:

- opam lint
- tests to check that constraints do not result in some other packages becoming uninstallable
- build tests against a matrix of various Linux distributions and OCaml compiler versions

If a build fails against a particular OCaml compiler version, we will request that a constraint be added to the `opam` file to reflect the build failure. Such fixes can be done just by pushing additional changes to the same branch, in the usual GitHub workflow.

Sporadic failures do occur on some distributions (like Fedora or OpenSUSE) due issues to issues with the upstream repository servers, so do not be alarmed if you get an 'x' beside your test -- it can still be merged if a few distributions fail.

> I don’t want to urge anything. I just want to understand the policy.

Not at all; we should write this all down in a `CONTRIBUTING.md` file in the opam-repository. I'm currently travelling but can do that when back, unless one of the other maintainers beats me to it.

And thanks for taking the time to contribute your packages to the repository!

regards,
Anil

* Re: [Caml-list] Policy to merge pull requests in the opam repository
@ 2017-05-16 16:00     ` Helmut Brandl
From: Helmut Brandl @ 2017-05-16 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Romain Calascibetta; +Cc: caml users

I have done the `opam update` already. The merge is visible in the github opam repository. However it is not (yet?) visible via the website “https://opam.ocaml.org/packages/ <https://opam.ocaml.org/packages/>”.

@ 2017-05-16 16:03       ` Anil Madhavapeddy
From: Anil Madhavapeddy @ 2017-05-16 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Helmut Brandl; +Cc: Romain Calascibetta, caml users

There is a cron job that runs hourly, which rebuilds https://opam.ocaml.org with the latest packages.  It should normally update within the hour, and your PR was merged 20 minutes ago.  If it hasn't shown up within the next 60-90 minutes, then begin a gentle panic, but until then it is a normal delay in the publishing workflow :-)

To get it immediately, you can:
-  `opam init https://github.com/ocaml/opam-repository.git` on a new repository
- `opam repo set-url default https://github.com/ocaml/opam-repository.git` to an existing installation

which will fetch the packages directly and bypass the OPAM HTTP mirror.

regards,
Anil

@ 2017-05-16 16:11         ` Helmut Brandl
From: Helmut Brandl @ 2017-05-16 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)