* [Caml-list] Question about garbage collection and impact on performance
@ 2013-12-04 12:20 Tom Ridge
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Tom Ridge @ 2013-12-04 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Dear caml-list,

I have an OCaml program which I expect to run in time O((n^3) *
(ln(n))) say. My expectations are based (unrealistically) on ignoring
garbage collection completely. As inputs get large, the program
performs worse than I expect.

My question is: is it possible for OCaml's garbage collection to alter
the time complexity of my program?

If the answer is "yes", then are there any expectations I might have
about how bad this alteration might be? For example, (without thinking
about it too hard) it seems unreasonable for GC to turn a polytime
program into an exponential time program, but is this actually true
for OCaml's garbage collector?

I have read some material on OCaml's GC, but I did not form any
intuitions yet about the answers to these questions.

Thanks in advance

Tom