* Re:  [Caml-list] findlib and mac os x frameworks/bundles/applications
@ 2001-09-28 13:57 Damien Doligez
From: Damien Doligez @ 2001-09-28 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list, jhw

>From: james woodyatt <jhwoodyatt@mac.com>

>I've come to the point where I better start caring about how I will go
>about deploying my software.  My preferred development environment is
>Mac OS X, which already has a convention for deploying software
>applications, bundles and frameworks.  I have no need (or burning
>desire) to deploy on any other platforms.

>On the other hand, I see Gerd Stolpmann's findlib tool, and I see this
>is a popular package management system for Ocaml software.

I would say these two distribution formats have very different
purposes.  Apple's bundles and packages are most useful for easy
installation of stand-alone applications.  findlib is for managing
libraries that are going to be used by programmers.

I think you should use an Apple-style package if you're distributing
an application targetting the end user (in which case ease of
installation is very important), and a findlib package if your product
is a library to be used by other programmers (in which case reading
the docs and typing a few command lines to a shell prompt is not a big
deal).

-- Damien

* Re: [Caml-list] findlib and mac os x frameworks/bundles/applications
@ 2001-09-28 18:31 ` james woodyatt
From: james woodyatt @ 2001-09-28 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damien Doligez; +Cc: caml-list

On Friday, September 28, 2001, at 06:57 , Damien Doligez wrote:

> I would say these two distribution formats have very different
> purposes.  Apple's bundles and packages are most useful for easy
> installation of stand-alone applications.  findlib is for managing
> libraries that are going to be used by programmers.

The Mac OS X framework system (actually, it's Darwin's framework system)
is intended for distributing libraries used by programmers.  Apple
modified the GCC compiler to add support for searching and linking with
frameworks in a manner somewhat reminiscent of the way findlib does it
with Ocaml for its own framework system.

> I think you should use an Apple-style package if you're distributing
> an application targetting the end user (in which case ease of
> installation is very important), and a findlib package if your product
> is a library to be used by other programmers (in which case reading
> the docs and typing a few command lines to a shell prompt is not a big
> deal).

I hold to the philosophy that programmers are every bit as intelligent
as end users.  They ought to be treated like human beings, and with the
same level of respect.  Ease of use is important to everyone.

Do you think modifying findlib to understand the layout of Mac OS X
frameworks is too hard, or a bad idea for some other reason?

I haven't looked at the code for findlib yet.  I suppose it could make
sense to dispense with findlib on Mac OS X and go straight for
developing a framework search, link and construction system from
scratch.  But I hate reinventing other people's wheels.

I was hoping to find out if anyone else had given this problem some
thought before I started in on it.

--
j h woodyatt <jhw@wetware.com>
"...the antidote to misinformation is more information, not less."

* [Caml-list] findlib and mac os x frameworks/bundles/applications
@ 2001-09-27 22:47 james woodyatt
From: james woodyatt @ 2001-09-27 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Caml Trade

everyone--

I've come to the point where I better start caring about how I will go
about deploying my software.  My preferred development environment is
Mac OS X, which already has a convention for deploying software
applications, bundles and frameworks.  I have no need (or burning
desire) to deploy on any other platforms.

On the other hand, I see Gerd Stolpmann's findlib tool, and I see this
is a popular package management system for Ocaml software.
Unfortunately, it's not obvious to me how best to use findlib on Mac OS
X.  Of even if that's the right thing to do.

Has anybody given any thought to integrating findlib with the Mac OS X
framework system?  If so, I'd like to have a back channel discussion
about what's involved.