From: Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@recoil.org>
To: Martin Jambon <martin.jambon@ens-lyon.org>,
	"marius a. eriksen" <marius@twitter.com>
Cc: Amir M Chaudhry <amc79@cam.ac.uk>,
	Malcolm Matalka <mmatalka@gmail.com>,
	"caml-list@inria.fr users" <caml-list@inria.fr>,
	Gerd Stolpmann <info@gerd-stolpmann.de>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] OUD2013 part of CUFP?
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 11:33:17 -0700	[thread overview]

On 3 Apr 2013, at 11:02, Martin Jambon <martin.jambon@ens-lyon.org> wrote:

> "Spreading the word widely" doesn't happen like that - it's the core of the problem.
>
> In thought the goal was to raise awareness among professional software developers who might consider trying some more "functional" approaches to programming.
> Pardon my cynicism, but this is different from a meeting whose goal is to show academics that their pet language was used by that one person in that big company and then pat each other on the back.

Are you all in a bad mood today or something?  That's quite the mischaracterisation of CUFP. Let me sample some of the videos from the CUFP website (at http://cufp.org/videos)

* Scala at Twitter
http://cufp.org/videos/scaling-scala-twitter-marius-eriksen-twitter
* Facebook Chat in Erlang
http://cufp.org/videos/functional-programming-facebook
* Freebase and Metaweb in OCaml (now part of Google)
http://cufp.org/videos/functional-programming-freebase-warren-harris-metaweb
* Scheme for games development in Uncharted 3
http://cufp.org/videos/functional-mzscheme-dsls-game-development
* F# at Microsoft for biological computing
http://cufp.org/videos/using-f-prove-stabilisation-biological-networks
http://cufp.org/videos/f-embracing-functional-programming-visual-studio-2010-luke-hoban-mic
* Big data at Nokia using Erlang/OCaml:
http://cufp.org/videos/disco-using-erlang-implement-mapreduce

And I haven't even mentioned our usual friends from Citrix or Jane Street:
* http://cufp.org/videos/citrix-haskell-xenclient
* http://cufp.org/videos/jane-street-status-report

And many more, of varying size and impact: there's been an interesting evolution from the 'bedroom FP user' to large companies that use it without blinking an eye.  All of this has been tracked by CUFP over the years, although we unfortunately don't have videos from the earliest ones.

Please do stop directing your ire at a workshop that has done its best to broaden the appeal of FP for nearly a decade now, and do start thinking about getting involved in the (many) open-source events that are out there these days.  Anyone can propose talks at places like Strange Loop and OSCON, and your travel and registration is often covered by the event organisers.

-anil