From: "Soegtrop, Michael" <michael.soegtrop@intel.com>
To: Jonathan Protzenko <jonathan.protzenko@gmail.com>,
	"Petter A. Urkedal" <paurkedal@gmail.com>
Cc: Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com>,
	"caml-list@inria.fr" <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: RE: [Caml-list] ocambuild vs ocamldep circular dependencies
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 07:59:31 +0000	[thread overview]

Dear Petter, Jonathan,

thanks for the hints! I think the function reference method is indeed a hack (it is also mentioned on http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/OCaml_Cyclical_Build_Dependencies ). The rec module approach is cleaner, but usually quite a bit of work. In the end I decided to rearrange my code so that the functions in question end up in one module. The effort is similar to the effort of implementing the module rec approach.

I still think that this is a substantial drawback of OCaml. It can be hard to foresee if one will stumble across this in larger projects, and it is not so nice that design decisions on the structure of modules are forced by this.

Couldn't one think of a way of declaring the existence of a module, with just its signature given? With such a mechanism, one could treat a reference to a module as a reference to the signature in the .mli file rather than to its implementation.

Best regards,

Michael

Intel Deutschland GmbH
Tel: +49 89 99 8853-0, www.intel.de
Managing Directors: Christin Eisenschmid, Christian Lamprechter
Registered Office: Munich