From: "Soegtrop, Michael" <michael.soegtrop@intel.com>
To: "Daniel Bünzli" <daniel.buenzli@erratique.ch>,
	"Viet Le" <vietlq85@gmail.com>,
	"caml-list@inria.fr" <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: RE: [Caml-list] Float precision in OCaml
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2017 08:22:12 +0000	[thread overview]

Dear Daniel,

> And since you have no control on which binary to decimal codecs JSON parsers
> are going to use you have absolutely no interoperability story at that point.

this is true, although if both ends use "round trip safe" codecs, the error should be at most 1 LSB and this also only in rare cases, which is at least a bit of a story. If one uses codecs which are not round trip safe, the story is much worse. So I would say that using round trip safe codecs still gives a substantial advantage. But you are definitely right - it is not the holy grail.

It would be an interesting exercise to test the interoperability of different round trip safe codecs.

Best regards,

Michael
Intel Deutschland GmbH
Tel: +49 89 99 8853-0, www.intel.de
Managing Directors: Christin Eisenschmid, Christian Lamprechter
Registered Office: Munich