* [Caml-list] Is it possible to have a common download cache for serval opam installations
@ 2019-04-25 16:54 Soegtrop, Michael
From: Soegtrop, Michael @ 2019-04-25 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Dear Opam Team,

I am working on scripts to automatically setup a Cygwin MinGW cross based development environment for Coq developers on Windows and for testing these scripts I have to reinstall Cygwin and opam frequently. I wonder if I could spare the downloads by specifying a common download cache folder somewhere outside of my Cygwin and .opam folders. Is there an option for this or could I e.g. symlink the download folder somewhere or does opam keep and index of what is in the download cache folder so that sharing won't work?

Best regards,

Michael
Intel Deutschland GmbH
Tel: +49 89 99 8853-0, www.intel.de
Managing Directors: Christin Eisenschmid, Gary Kershaw
Registered Office: Munich

* Re: [Caml-list] Is it possible to have a common download cache for serval opam installations
@ 2019-04-25 19:07 ` Chet Murthy
From: Chet Murthy @ 2019-04-25 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Soegtrop, Michael; +Cc: caml-list

When I wanted this (connectivity by a somewhat low-bandwidth connection), I
solved the problem by running a little local HTTP proxy, solely for opam.
Basically, I ran http-replicator with its cache in my $HOME/tmp directory,
and then set the "http_proxy" environment variable (in the same rc-file
where I sourced opam env)

Worked a treat, and simple to setup.

@ 2019-04-25 19:23 ` Anil Madhavapeddy
From: Anil Madhavapeddy @ 2019-04-25 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Soegtrop, Michael; +Cc: caml-list

Dear Michael,

If you’re on opam2, you can use the “archive-mirrors” field in your opam .config file to specify an alternative location to look for download files in.  The opam CI, for example, does something like:

    echo 'archive-mirrors: [ "file:///home/opam/opam-repository/cache" ]' >> /home/opam/.opam/config

and the contents of /home/opam/opam-repository/cache are created via “opam admin cache”.

Hope that helps,
Anil

@ 2019-04-26  8:39   ` Soegtrop, Michael
From: Soegtrop, Michael @ 2019-04-26  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anil Madhavapeddy; +Cc: caml-list

Dear Louis, Chet, Anil

thanks for all the useful suggestions. I will do experiments using the proposed methods and see what works best for my purpose.