* [Caml-list] help. possible lablgl problem
@ 2002-01-12 23:12 paddym
From: paddym @ 2002-01-12 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: paddym

Hi,
  I was trying to install lablgl and I attempted to run the demos but all I got
was a segmentation fault.  I am running Mandrake 8.0 with ocaml-3.04.  First I
just used the default installation of GL that came with mandrake, which is
admittedly confusing.  libGL.la was came from Mesa-common-devel-3.4.1 but
libGL.so came from XFree86-devel and the actual library libGL.so.1.2 came from
XFree86-libs.  Thinking that GL was most likely my problem, I installed
Mesa-4.0.1 in a different install directory and then rebuilt lablGL.  After that
didn't work, I tried inputting the lines of the ml directly into the
interpreter.  I discovered that:
open Tk;;
let top = openTk ();;
caused a segmentation fault (without leaving a core file), yet these same lines
worked fine in labltk.  Now it could still be a problem with my GL, I guess, but
I don't know how to figure out what is wrong.  Any suggestions would be
appreciated.  Thanks.

Patrick

* [Caml-list] Re: help. possible lablgl problem
@ 2002-01-13 21:16 ` paddym
From: paddym @ 2002-01-13 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paddym; +Cc: caml-list, paddym

Quoting paddym@mailstop9.com:

> Hi,
>   I was trying to install lablgl and I attempted to run the demos but
> all I got
> was a segmentation fault.  I am running Mandrake 8.0 with ocaml-3.04.
> First I
> just used the default installation of GL that came with mandrake, which
> is
> admittedly confusing.  libGL.la was came from Mesa-common-devel-3.4.1
> but
> libGL.so came from XFree86-devel and the actual library libGL.so.1.2
> came from
> XFree86-libs.  Thinking that GL was most likely my problem, I
> installed
> Mesa-4.0.1 in a different install directory and then rebuilt lablGL.
> After that
> didn't work, I tried inputting the lines of the ml directly into the
> interpreter.  I discovered that:
> open Tk;;
> let top = openTk ();;
> caused a segmentation fault (without leaving a core file), yet these
> same lines
> worked fine in labltk.  Now it could still be a problem with my GL, I
> guess, but
> I don't know how to figure out what is wrong.  Any suggestions would
> be
> appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> Patrick

> Get your own free mailbox at MailStop9! http://www.mailstop9.com/

I tried also installing ocaml from the mandrake rpm.  I then stripped out the
#!/usr/bin/ocamlrun from the lablgltop and ran gdb ocamlrun.  Then I passed the
file name finallablgltop (which was my edited version) and basically ran the
same stuff in gdb.  This is what I got:
---------------------------
/recentfiles/lablGL-0.97 gdb ocamlrun
GNU gdb 5.0mdk-11mdk Linux-Mandrake 8.0
This GDB was configured as "i386-mandrake-linux"...
(gdb) run finallablgltop -I /usr/lib/ocaml/lablGL -I /usr/lib/ocaml/labltk
Starting program: /usr/bin/ocamlrun finallablgltop -I /usr/lib/ocaml/lablGL -I
/usr/lib/ocaml/labltk
[New Thread 1024 (LWP 11447)]
        Objective Caml version 3.04

# open Tk;;
# let top = openTk ();;

[Switching to Thread 1024 (LWP 11447)]
__pthread_unlock (lock=0xbfffe650) at spinlock.c:179
179     spinlock.c: No such file or directory.
        in spinlock.c
(gdb)
---------------------------

Not sure if the spinlock error is gdb or what, but I thought I'd update the problem.

Patrick

* Re: [Caml-list] help. possible lablgl problem
@ 2002-01-14 19:58 ` David MENTRE
From: David MENTRE @ 2002-01-14 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paddym; +Cc: caml-list

paddym@mailstop9.com writes:

> just used the default installation of GL that came with mandrake, which is
> admittedly confusing.  libGL.la was came from Mesa-common-devel-3.4.1 but
> libGL.so came from XFree86-devel and the actual library libGL.so.1.2 came from
> XFree86-libs.  Thinking that GL was most likely my problem, I installed

You should use the GL libraries comming with your XFree. Look on the
mesa web site for further info.

http://www.mesa3d.org/about/systems.html
 If you download and install XFree86 4.0 you do not need to install Mesa
 separately. All the important parts of Mesa will be installed with the
 rest of XFree86.

By the way, looking at your spinlock problem, what is the version of
your glibc? At least one lock bug was fixed in the latest release.

Hope it helps,
d.
--
 david.mentre@wanadoo.fr

* Re: [Caml-list] help. possible lablgl problem
@ 2002-01-16  5:35   ` paddym
From: paddym @ 2002-01-16  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David MENTRE; +Cc: paddym, caml-list

Quoting David MENTRE <david.mentre@wanadoo.fr>:

> paddym@mailstop9.com writes:
>
> > just used the default installation of GL that came with mandrake,
> which is
> > admittedly confusing.  libGL.la was came from Mesa-common-devel-3.4.1
> but
> > libGL.so came from XFree86-devel and the actual library libGL.so.1.2
> came from
> > XFree86-libs.  Thinking that GL was most likely my problem, I
> installed
>
> You should use the GL libraries comming with your XFree. Look on the
> mesa web site for further info.
>
> http://www.mesa3d.org/about/systems.html
>  If you download and install XFree86 4.0 you do not need to install
> Mesa
>  separately. All the important parts of Mesa will be installed with
> the
>  rest of XFree86.
>

> By the way, looking at your spinlock problem, what is the version of
> your glibc? At least one lock bug was fixed in the latest release.
>
> Hope it helps,
> d.
> --
>  david.mentre@wanadoo.fr

gcc-2.96, glibc-2.2.2-4, Xfree86-4.0.3, and GL (all from RPMS) came with
Mandrake.  I installed ocaml-3.04 from an RPM and build lablgl-0.97.  I upgraded
glibc to a different build (2.2.2-6), but it sounds like I need glibc-2.2.4, is
that correct?  Does anyone know a way to do this without changing distros, or is
changing versions going to be painful?  Thanks for any suggestions.

Patrick