* [Caml-list] Compatibility Ocaml/labltk Linux -> Windows
@ 2002-09-06 16:07 Oliver Bandel
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2002-09-06 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

I want to develop an Ocaml-allpication on linux and
need it that it can run on windows too.

I need the typical OCaml-distribution but I also
need a GUI. I think about using labltk.

Is it possible to use applications, which are
running with labltk on linux also on windows?
Is it possible to port code, or can I use it
as is?

TIA,
  Oliver

* Re: [Caml-list] Compatibility Ocaml/labltk Linux -> Windows
@ 2002-09-07  9:21 ` Jacques Garrigue
From: Jacques Garrigue @ 2002-09-07  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oliver; +Cc: caml-list

From: Oliver Bandel <oliver@first.in-berlin.de>

> I want to develop an Ocaml-allpication on linux and
> need it that it can run on windows too.
>
> I need the typical OCaml-distribution but I also
> need a GUI. I think about using labltk.
>
> Is it possible to use applications, which are
> running with labltk on linux also on windows?
> Is it possible to port code, or can I use it
> as is?

For most uses, you need not change anything.

There are few incompatibilities for specific functions
* Fileinput on windows only works with sockets (if it works at all!)
  Otherwise you have to do dark magic with threads, as in ocamlbrowser.
* Fileselect on windows is very buggy. Trevor Jim contributed a fixed
  version in the past, but it was rather heavily modified. Maybe some
  other people have working versions. By the way, the ocamlbrowser
  Fileselect works, but is heavily customized too.

Outside of these two small modules, I know of no incompatibilities.

Cheers,

Jacques Garrigue

* Re: [Caml-list] Compatibility Ocaml/labltk Linux -> Windows
@ 2002-09-07 13:28   ` jeanmarc.eber
From: jeanmarc.eber @ 2002-09-07 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacques Garrigue; +Cc: oliver, caml-list

Quoting Jacques Garrigue <garrigue@kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp>:

> From: Oliver Bandel <oliver@first.in-berlin.de>
> >
> > I want to develop an Ocaml-allpication on linux and
> > need it that it can run on windows too.
> >
> > I need the typical OCaml-distribution but I also
> > need a GUI. I think about using labltk.
> >
> > Is it possible to use applications, which are
> > running with labltk on linux also on windows?
> > Is it possible to port code, or can I use it
> > as is?
>
> For most uses, you need not change anything.
>
> There are few incompatibilities for specific functions
> * Fileinput on windows only works with sockets (if it works at all!)
>   Otherwise you have to do dark magic with threads, as in ocamlbrowser.
> * Fileselect on windows is very buggy. Trevor Jim contributed a fixed
>   version in the past, but it was rather heavily modified. Maybe some
>   other people have working versions. By the way, the ocamlbrowser
>   Fileselect works, but is heavily customized too.
>
> Outside of these two small modules, I know of no incompatibilities.

I can only confirm this. At LexiFi, we are implementing a (modestly complex,
honestly said) GUI under Linux that works just fine, after recompilation,
under Win32.

Note also that INRIA did a major cleanup of all the camlTk/lablTk stuff (mainly
a unification of the low level Tk interface of camlTk and lablTk) a
few months ago, one reason more to give it a try.

For a non trivial gui implemented under ocaml with camlTk, delivered
under win32 as well as under linux, have a look at:

http://www-rocq.inria.fr/syndex/

Jean-Marc Eber
LexiFi.com

* Re: [Caml-list] Compatibility Ocaml/labltk Linux -> Windows
@ 2002-09-09  1:04 ` Yaron M. Minsky
From: Yaron M. Minsky @ 2002-09-09  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Bandel; +Cc: caml-list

On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 12:07, Oliver Bandel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to develop an Ocaml-allpication on linux and
> need it that it can run on windows too.
>
> I need the typical OCaml-distribution but I also
> need a GUI. I think about using labltk.
>
> Is it possible to use applications, which are
> running with labltk on linux also on windows?
> Is it possible to port code, or can I use it
> as is?

It's possible and not too much work is required.  If you want to see a
simple example of such an app, take a look at
http://planets.homedns.org.

The only downside of this approach is that it requires a separate
install of tcl/tk on the windows side.

> TIA,
>   Oliver

|--------/            Yaron M. Minsky              \--------|
|--------\ http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/yminsky/ /--------|

Open PGP --- KeyID B1FFD916 (new key as of Dec 4th)
Fingerprint: 5BF6 83E1 0CE3 1043 95D8 F8D5 9F12 B3A9 B1FF D916