From: Dmitry Lomov <dsl@intellij.com>
To: Walid Taha <taha@cs.rice.edu>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Runtime (native) compilation
Date: 17 Oct 2002 19:07:48 +0400	[thread overview]

Walid,

although Dynamic Caml does not (yet) work on native code, we have
implemented (a while ago actually) a very preliminary prototype
implementation of it for i386. We do not use ocamlopt for code
generation however - we implemented a custom code generator. Do you
think it is difficult to make ocamlopt generate machine code instead of
assembler, and why do you think one needs linking at all? (Probably it
all different in MetaOCaml - I have not studied the internals)

As to dealing with runtime, I do not see much differences between
bytecode and native code case - at least in Dynamic Caml. What problems
do you perceive?

Friendly,
Dmitry

--