* [Caml-list] New Introductory book on Functional programming, using OCaml (in Italian)
@ 2003-01-14 11:44 limongel
From: limongel @ 2003-01-14 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

About the book

As far as we konw, this is the first book on OCaml written in
Italian

The book gives an introduction both to basic concepts and techniques
of functional programming, and to its theoretical foundation.

In the first part of the book Objective Caml is used to present the
principles of functional programming.  Particular attention is devoted
to higher order functions: they are introduced in the first chapter.
Moreover recursion and basic data structures are presented, and the
relation among inductive data types, recursive definitions and
inductive proofs is highlighted.  The OCaml module system is also
introduced.

The second part shows the fundation of the functional paradigm.  It
contains an introduction to pure and applied lambda calculus, and a
brief account of its role in defining the concepts of computability
and decidability. The type system of languages in the ML class is also
discussed, and the concept of evaluation in an environment, together
with the difference between static and dynamic scope of declarations.

The book is the result of about ten years teaching experience in
basic computer science courses at the University of "Roma Tre" in Rome.

About the authors: Marta Cialdea Mayer is associate professor at the
Faculty of Engineering of "Roma Tre" University, where she holds
courses on Artificial Intelligence and Functional Programming.  Carla
Limongelli is Research Associate at the same Faculty, where she
presently hold the course of Algorithms and Data Structures.

The authors,

           Marta Cialdea Mayer and Carla Limongelli

--

Marta Cialdea Mayer
Dipartimento di Informatica e Automazione

tel +39-06-55173232
fax +39-06-5573030

* [Caml-list] (II) New Introductory book on Functional programming, using OCaml (in Italian)
@ 2003-01-15  9:15 ` limongel
From: limongel @ 2003-01-15  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

In the previous message we have forgotten some unessential information ;-)
the title of the book is "Introduzione alla programmazione funzionale"
and it is published by Esculapio.
The table of contents can be found at
http://www.dia.uniroma3.it/~lambda/libro/

Greetings,  Carla