From: "Yaron M. Minsky" <yminsky@CS.Cornell.EDU>
To: Caml List <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] view types in ocaml?
Date: 21 Jan 2003 07:54:26 -0500	[thread overview]

Speaking of suggestions for toplevel improvements, I've got a couple:

- don't print really long strings.

        The mechanism for ensuring that overly long things don't get
        printed to the screen apparently doesn't work for strings.  The
        result is that if you do anything with a large string (say,
        allocate a 100K buffer), every character gets printed to the
        screen.  (and if that buffer is mostly zeros, each buffer
        character is printed as '\000', taking 4 characters.  Argh!)

- don't print let-bound values

        If I type an expression, such "let x = foobar a b c", the value
        of x is dumped to the screen.  This is contrary to the behavior
        of most language interpreters (see python or matlab for
        examples.)  It means you have no way of supressing the printing
        of the values you generate, which is quite inconvenient.
        Perhaps the type should always be printed (although maybe not),
        but printing the value every time make no sense.

Suggestively,