* [Caml-list] install-ocaml.sh
@ 2004-03-19 11:10 Issac Trotts
From: Issac Trotts @ 2004-03-19 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

For those who would like to encourage their coworkers to install OCaml,
here is a script that automatically grabs GODI and runs through all the
steps to get it running:

  http://mallorn.ucdavis.edu/~ijtrotts/software/install-ocaml.sh

The script currently requires wget, htget, or snarf.
It has worked on some Debian and Redhat systems here.
It has failed on a Cygwin system here, but I think that is because of a
problem in GODI.  The tail of the bootstrap.log file says

  bmake.boot: no system rules (sys.mk)
  etc.

Someone else asked about this a while back and got no response.  I guess
no one knows...

--
Issac Trotts
http://mallorn.ucdavis.edu/~ijtrotts

* Re: [Caml-list] install-ocaml.sh
@ 2004-03-19 12:17 ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2004-03-19 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Issac Trotts; +Cc: caml-list

On Fre, 2004-03-19 at 12:10, Issac Trotts wrote:
> For those who would like to encourage their coworkers to install OCaml,
> here is a script that automatically grabs GODI and runs through all the
> steps to get it running:
>
>   http://mallorn.ucdavis.edu/~ijtrotts/software/install-ocaml.sh
>
> The script currently requires wget, htget, or snarf.
> It has worked on some Debian and Redhat systems here.
> It has failed on a Cygwin system here, but I think that is because of a
> problem in GODI.  The tail of the bootstrap.log file says
>
>   bmake.boot: no system rules (sys.mk)
>   etc.
>
> Someone else asked about this a while back and got no response.  I guess
> no one knows...

Cygwin support is under development. That means there is a GODI version
bootstrapping under Cygwin (thanks to Eugene Kotlyarov). I have not yet
released it because there are still some important problems with it,
e.g. one currently cannot self-update godi_console, but it is nearly
finished.

Gerd

* Re: [Caml-list] install-ocaml.sh
@ 2004-03-19 12:26   ` Alain.Frisch
From: Alain.Frisch @ 2004-03-19 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml list

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Gerd Stolpmann wrote:

> Cygwin support is under development. That means there is a GODI version
> bootstrapping under Cygwin (thanks to Eugene Kotlyarov). I have not yet
> released it because there are still some important problems with it,
> e.g. one currently cannot self-update godi_console, but it is nearly
> finished.

What about the mingw port ?

BTW, I'm still looking for help on how to build ocaml-pcre with this port
(has anyone done it ?).

-- Alain

* Re: [Caml-list] install-ocaml.sh
@ 2004-03-19 12:38   ` Issac Trotts
From: Issac Trotts @ 2004-03-19 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerd Stolpmann; +Cc: caml-list

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 01:17:12PM +0100, Gerd Stolpmann wrote:
> On Fre, 2004-03-19 at 12:10, Issac Trotts wrote:
> > For those who would like to encourage their coworkers to install OCaml,
> > here is a script that automatically grabs GODI and runs through all the
> > steps to get it running:
> >
> >   http://mallorn.ucdavis.edu/~ijtrotts/software/install-ocaml.sh
> >
> > The script currently requires wget, htget, or snarf.
> > It has worked on some Debian and Redhat systems here.
> > It has failed on a Cygwin system here, but I think that is because of a
> > problem in GODI.  The tail of the bootstrap.log file says
> >
> >   bmake.boot: no system rules (sys.mk)
> >   etc.
> >
> > Someone else asked about this a while back and got no response.  I guess
> > no one knows...
>
> Cygwin support is under development. That means there is a GODI version
> bootstrapping under Cygwin (thanks to Eugene Kotlyarov). I have not yet
> released it because there are still some important problems with it,
> e.g. one currently cannot self-update godi_console, but it is nearly
> finished.

Thanks for the news.  I'm looking forward to the next release.

Issac

--
Issac Trotts

@ 2004-03-19 17:09     ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2004-03-19 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml list

On Fre, 2004-03-19 at 13:26, Alain.Frisch@ens.fr wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Gerd Stolpmann wrote:
>
> > Cygwin support is under development. That means there is a GODI version
> > bootstrapping under Cygwin (thanks to Eugene Kotlyarov). I have not yet
> > released it because there are still some important problems with it,
> > e.g. one currently cannot self-update godi_console, but it is nearly
> > finished.
>
> What about the mingw port ?

This is a lot more complicated than the cygwin port:

- GODI uses a number of C programs that must be ported to Windows.
- godi_console contains code that runs only under Unix, although this
  code is already separated into special modules, for easier porting.
- In addition to the problems already solved for Cygwin, and the
  different OS primitives, more Windows peculiarities must be taken
  into account, e.g. the different filenames ("\" as separator, drive
  letters), no symlinks, etc.

A full port to MinGW is a lot of work! However, it is also possible to
do a "half port", that means that the mentioned C programs and
godi_console are taken from the Cygwin port as binaries. Of course, the
ocaml core and all libraries would be for MinGW. This means that GODI
itself still requires the Cygwin DLL to run, but that it would be
possible to generate pure Windows executables. This "half port" should
be quite simple (any volunteers?).

Gerd

* Re: [Caml-list] install-ocaml.sh
@ 2004-03-19 17:30     ` Christoph Bauer
From: Christoph Bauer @ 2004-03-19 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCaml List

Hi,

> On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Gerd Stolpmann wrote:
>
>> Cygwin support is under development. That means there is a GODI version
>> bootstrapping under Cygwin (thanks to Eugene Kotlyarov). I have not yet
>> released it because there are still some important problems with it,
>> e.g. one currently cannot self-update godi_console, but it is nearly
>> finished.
>
> What about the mingw port ?
>
> BTW, I'm still looking for help on how to build ocaml-pcre with this port
> (has anyone done it ?).

I build ocaml-pcre on mingw with plain ocaml-mingw + findlib-0.8.1.
What's the problem? Unfortunatly I have the compiled version
on my computer at work...

Regards,
Christoph

--
beginfig(1)u=3cm;draw fullcircle scaled 2u;x0=x1=y1=x2=y3=0;-y0=y2=x3=1u;
filldraw z0..{left}z1{left}..z2{curl 1}..z3..z0..cycle;def t(expr p)=fullcircle

* Re: [Caml-list] install-ocaml.sh
@ 2004-03-19 18:09 ` Ken Rose
From: Ken Rose @ 2004-03-19 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Issac Trotts; +Cc: caml-list

Issac Trotts wrote:

> problem in GODI.  The tail of the bootstrap.log file says
>
>   bmake.boot: no system rules (sys.mk)
>   etc.
>
> Someone else asked about this a while back and got no response.  I guess
> no one knows...

That may have been me.  I had a conversation with Gerd about it, or
something a lot like it, and we never did figure it out.

Sometime later, I tried it on a different machine and it worked.  My
best guess right now was that GODI was really determined to be installed
in /opt/godi, and was unwilling to be in /usr/local/godi.

Apologies to all for not passing that along

  - ken