From: skaller <skaller@users.sourceforge.net>
To: Erol Akarsu <eakarsu_33@yahoo.com>
Cc: Basile Starynkevitch <basile.starynkevitch@inria.fr>,
	Brian Hurt <bhurt@spnz.org>, caml-list <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Real Time Ocaml
Date: 17 Apr 2004 01:12:24 +1000	[thread overview]

On Fri, 2004-04-16 at 22:33, Erol Akarsu wrote:
> Hello Basile,

> What I was thinking that with real-time ebusiness we
> should achieve same performance as current
> softswitches
> . That means whenever you make phone call, you call
> should be connected in say 1 seconds, maximum = 2
> seconds. In ocaml case, Let's say one time 500 users
> are making call simultaneously and at some point Ocaml
> starts GC algorithm. Maybe, next user will have some
> waiting time because of GC overhead.

This kind of telecommunications is not true real time.
I actually worked on precisely this kind of code.
Latency making connections is not an RT issue.
In fact it is common, standardised, practice to
simply dump connections under load -- which is
known as 'call gapping'.

You do need overal performance,
but there is no critical need
to actually process the data, let alone
do so with an upper limit on latency.
[Its not a nuclear reactor or heart pacemaker]

In other words, Ocaml is strongly recommended!
It will deliver better performance than, for
example, a typical C++ solution. IMHO.

Its very unlikely the GC will load the system
any more intermittently than a C++ memory  management
system, which, in the long run will be driving
the OS virtual memory manager -- and I've seen lots
of C++ processes thrash on disk access (typically
there are other demands on the disk as well, eg,
your data base ..)

I suspect the major issue will be whether  your
long running process fragment memory enough
that you must call the compacter -- THAT is likely
to 'world stop' for a significant amount of time.

voice: 061-2-9660-0850,
snail: PO BOX 401 Glebe NSW 2037 Australia