From: skaller <skaller@users.sourceforge.net>
To: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@indiegamedesign.com>
Cc: caml-list <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: RE: [Caml-list] Re: How can I lend developers to the Caml team?
Date: 19 Apr 2004 03:03:07 +1000	[thread overview]

On Sun, 2004-04-18 at 15:31, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> > If someone offers you a free car, don't turn them down
> > because you wanted a free motorbike.

What if your job is as a motorbike courier?

> Aren't you forgetting that INRIA's goals aren't your goals?

Even so, I think we should take Xaviers claim as a face value
commercial assertion we should trust. More developers may slow
down development of the facilities WE want.

> > In fact it's very surprising that no third-party core
> > developers have joined to date, after all these years.
> > It's about time.  Look at how many folks work on Python
> > core for example.

Python core design is largely stable. When it came
to upgrading it to Stackless Python the process fell
through. They got generators and a GC instead.

>  All overseen by benevolent Guido.

> Whereas my personal experience with Guido is he's damn inflexible when
> he's made up his mind about something.  I don't have any experience with
> him on the technology front,

I do. Lets say the half the major changes in Python were due to me,
and the only way I could bring about these changes was to
build a proof of principle interpreter, Vyper, in Ocaml.

Thankfully some of the other lead developers had enough
functional programming experience to understand the
advantages of something like lexical scoping and
closures ..

Similar comments might be made about C++: Bjarne is somewhat
more savvy then Guido, but not enough to have put his
weight behind basic functional stuff for C++, which would
have been the only way to influence a technically ignorant
committee in time.

It's kind of nice to have lead developers who are both
top class theoreticians and expert technologists as well.
So in my opinion when Xavier says there are enough people
working on the Ocaml core, we should probably take that
at face value: we're all here because we *share* the
INRIA teams basic goals.

voice: 061-2-9660-0850,
snail: PO BOX 401 Glebe NSW 2037 Australia