From: Gerd Stolpmann <info@gerd-stolpmann.de>
To: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] OCaml development site
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 17:46:59 +0200	[thread overview]

On Fre, 2004-05-07 at 16:53, John Goerzen wrote:
> My perception of GODI
> -- and this may or may not be true -- is that it is a cathedral-style
> operation, where central gatekeepers review and approve contributions
> (and it requires knowledge of its build system).  Make it more open to
> start with.

I really don't understand what you mean. Everybody can get an account
and release packages. (That there is not yet an account request page has
technical reasons, but I hope that an email to the admin, not
gatekeeper, is not a problem in the meantime.)

There is no formal review process, and nobody approves contributions. I
don't even know where you have this idea from. Everybody can release
files, everybody can make changes to work of others. Of course, when you
are working on the GODI server, you are watched, because it is open, and
sometimes there are discussions on godi-list about that, e.g because
something does not work as expected. This is absolutely normal when
working on a shared platform, it is not a private place.

Of course, GODI requires knowledge how to do things with it. Come on, we
are not talking about a toy problem where everything is obvious. But it
is not really difficult to make a GODI package. Algorithm: (1) Look
around which of the released 50 packages is similar to mine (2) Copy
that (3) Change identifiers etc (4) If anything remains open, try to
find it in the documentation or ask on godi-list. There is also the
GODIVA initiative that simplifies package making a lot.

Finally, there are some people (including me) who are more involved into
the project than other people. This is true, but unavoidable because
somebody has to do the work.

Gerd