* [Caml-list] lablgtk-2.2.0 --with-gl
@ 2004-05-26 12:53 Florent Monnier
From: Florent Monnier @ 2004-05-26 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

hello,

I have installed lablgl-1.00.tar.gz (so it went in /usr/local),
and now I'm trying to install lablgtk-2.2.0.tar.gz
but it does not find gtkGL

# ./configure --with-gl
[...]
checking for gtkgl-2.0... Package gtkgl-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config
search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gtkgl-2.0.pc'
No package 'gtkgl-2.0' found
configure: error: gtkgl enforced but support not found

So I have tryed:
# whereis gtkgl
gtkgl: /usr/include/gtkgl
# export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/include/gtkgl
(but idem)
# export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/ocaml/lablGL/
(but idem)
# export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/bin/
(but idem)

What is the trick to install with gtkglarea ?

thx

* Re: [Caml-list] lablgtk-2.2.0 --with-gl
@ 2004-05-26 13:09 ` Jacques GARRIGUE
From: Jacques GARRIGUE @ 2004-05-26 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fmonnier; +Cc: caml-list

From: Florent Monnier <fmonnier@linux-nantes.fr.eu.org>

> I have installed lablgl-1.00.tar.gz (so it went in /usr/local),
> and now I'm trying to install lablgtk-2.2.0.tar.gz
> but it does not find gtkGL
>
> # ./configure --with-gl
> [...]
> checking for gtkgl-2.0... Package gtkgl-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config
> search path.
> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gtkgl-2.0.pc'
> No package 'gtkgl-2.0' found
> configure: error: gtkgl enforced but support not found
>
> So I have tryed:
> # whereis gtkgl
> gtkgl: /usr/include/gtkgl

What about trying "whereis gtkgl-2.0.pc", as it gently suggests you?

Jacques Garrigue      Kyoto University     garrigue at kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp
		<A HREF=http://wwwfun.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~garrigue/>JG</A>

* Re: [Caml-list] lablgtk-2.2.0 --with-gl
@ 2004-05-26 14:57   ` Florent Monnier
From: Florent Monnier @ 2004-05-26 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacques GARRIGUE; +Cc: caml-list

> > I have installed lablgl-1.00.tar.gz (so it went in /usr/local),
> > and now I'm trying to install lablgtk-2.2.0.tar.gz
> > but it does not find gtkGL
> >
> > # ./configure --with-gl
> > [...]
> > checking for gtkgl-2.0... Package gtkgl-2.0 was not found in the
> > pkg-config search path.
> > Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gtkgl-2.0.pc'
> > to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
> > No package 'gtkgl-2.0' found
> > configure: error: gtkgl enforced but support not found
> >
> > So I have tryed:
> > # whereis gtkgl
> > gtkgl: /usr/include/gtkgl
>
> What about trying "whereis gtkgl-2.0.pc", as it gently suggests you?

No answer at all :p
I only get an answer with whereis gtkgl :

# whereis gtkgl-2.0.pc
gtkgl-2.0:
# whereis gtkgl-2.0
gtkgl-2:
# whereis gtkgl-2
gtkgl-2:
# whereis gtkgl
gtkgl: /usr/include/gtkgl

# ls /usr/include/gtkgl <TAB>
# ls /usr/include/gtkgl/
gdkgl.h
gtkglarea.h

++
thanks in advance

* Re: [Caml-list] lablgtk-2.2.0 --with-gl
@ 2004-05-26 15:39 ` skaller
From: skaller @ 2004-05-26 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florent Monnier; +Cc: caml-list

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 22:53, Florent Monnier wrote:

> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gtkgl-2.0.pc'

PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig

By default it searches $0/../lib/pkgconfig,
so if you install it in /usr/local it doesn't bother
to search /usr/lib/pkgconfig .. OTOH if you have
that environment variable set the /usr/bin version
will search /usr/local which it should never do.

This is one of a huge list of serious faults in
pkg-config. I'd say 'design faults' but it doesn't
look like anyone actually bothered to do any design.

voice: 061-2-9660-0850,
snail: PO BOX 401 Glebe NSW 2037 Australia

* Re: [Caml-list] lablgtk-2.2.0 --with-gl
@ 2004-05-26 16:01   ` Olivier Andrieu
From: Olivier Andrieu @ 2004-05-26 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: skaller, fmonnier; +Cc: caml-list

 skaller [27 May 2004]:
 > On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 22:53, Florent Monnier wrote:
 >
 > > Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gtkgl-2.0.pc'
 > > to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable

Most likely, only an old version (pre 2.0) of gtkglarea is
installed. Florent, make sure you have a recent, correctly installed
version of gtkglarea.

 > PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig
 >
 > By default it searches $0/../lib/pkgconfig,
 > so if you install it in /usr/local it doesn't bother
 > to search /usr/lib/pkgconfig .. OTOH if you have
 > that environment variable set the /usr/bin version
 > will search /usr/local which it should never do.
 >
 > This is one of a huge list of serious faults in
 > pkg-config. I'd say 'design faults' but it doesn't
 > look like anyone actually bothered to do any design.

This nonsense is pretty much off-topic for caml-list.

--
   Olivier

* Re: [Caml-list] lablgtk-2.2.0 --with-gl
@ 2004-05-26 17:33   ` Florent Monnier
From: Florent Monnier @ 2004-05-26 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> > Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gtkgl-2.0.pc'
> > to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
>
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig

The problem seems to be there, I have no gtkgl-2.0.pc in /usr/lib/pkgconfig

# ls /usr/lib/pkgconfig | grep gtk
gconfgtk.pc
gtk+-2.0.pc
gtk-doc.pc
gtkhtml-1.1.pc
gtk+-linux-fb-2.0.pc
gtk+.pc
gtkspell-2.0.pc
gtk+-x11-2.0.pc
libgtkhtml-2.0.pc

I use a mandrake 9.1 (which is LSB 1.2 conformant), but if this version is too
old perhaps I will be more lucky if I try to install lablGtk 1. ? (or mdk10:)

> By default it searches $0/../lib/pkgconfig,
> so if you install it in /usr/local it doesn't bother
> to search /usr/lib/pkgconfig .. OTOH if you have
> that environment variable set the /usr/bin version
> will search /usr/local which it should never do.
>
> This is one of a huge list of serious faults in
> pkg-config. I'd say 'design faults' but it doesn't
> look like anyone actually bothered to do any design.

Isn't there an ocmal make implementation ?
I think I have seen something like this in the links or in the docs,
isn't it a real project ? It would indeed be nice to use an ocaml make
implementation for ocmal progs, isn't it ?

++

* Re: [Caml-list] lablgtk-2.2.0 --with-gl
@ 2004-05-27  4:40     ` skaller
From: skaller @ 2004-05-27  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Andrieu; +Cc: fmonnier, caml-list

On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 02:01, Olivier Andrieu wrote:
>  skaller [27 May 2004]:
>  > On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 22:53, Florent Monnier wrote:
>  >
>  > > Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gtkgl-2.0.pc'
>  > > to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
>
> Most likely, only an old version (pre 2.0) of gtkglarea is
> installed. Florent, make sure you have a recent, correctly installed
> version of gtkglarea.
>
>  > PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig
>  >
>  > By default it searches $0/../lib/pkgconfig,
>  > so if you install it in /usr/local it doesn't bother
>  > to search /usr/lib/pkgconfig .. OTOH if you have
>  > that environment variable set the /usr/bin version
>  > will search /usr/local which it should never do.
>  >
>  > This is one of a huge list of serious faults in
>  > pkg-config. I'd say 'design faults' but it doesn't
>  > look like anyone actually bothered to do any design.
>
> This nonsense is pretty much off-topic for caml-list.

I DIRECTLY answered a question about building Ocaml
by suggesting a value for PKG_CONFIG_PATH which may solve
Florent's problem.  The value I gave is the one on my system.

I then gave some explanation of how pkg-config works
to explain why that value, and how to deal with
it if it doesn't solve the problem. It may even
*interfere* with correct building.

Finally I mentioned that this program is a heap of garbage
which I think is quite relavent to the currently hot
topic of package/build management for Ocaml software
which needs to know about C libraries too: hopefully
we can learn from badly constructed programs how to do it
better. 'findlib' for example does a related job for
Ocaml, and GODI is also managing package related
meta-information.

So in my opinion, everything I said was in fact
quite relevant to this list.