* [Caml-list] Pattern matching over elements at the front of a container
@ 2004-06-26 11:15 Jon Harrop
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jon Harrop @ 2004-06-26 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I'm currently storing stuff and things in a list. The ability to pattern match
over the first element or two using a succinct notation is, of course, nifty.
However, I'd like to replace my list with some other container, maybe an
array, maybe something of my own creation. What's the easiest way to keep my
ability to pattern match over the first few elements at the front of the
container? I could try to extract the first couple of elements and match over
a 2-tuple of "element option"s. Can a lazily evaluated stream help? How
expensive is this in terms of performance?

In the case of lists, you can match against the first two elements using the
pattern "a::b::_". As the "_" is not bound in the corresponding expression,
an equivalent notation could be invented for arrays in this case. Is this
feasible? Would anyone else find this useful?

Also, is it not possible to alter the definition and implementation of OCaml
such that the pattern "(a, a)" is treated as "(a, b) when a=b"? Has this not
been done because the "=" is suspect?

Cheers,
Jon.