From: skaller <skaller@users.sourceforge.net>
To: Richard Jones <rich@annexia.org>
Cc: caml-list <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Re: int hash
Date: 15 Jul 2004 07:29:27 +1000	[thread overview]

On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 00:46, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 12:27:50AM +1000, skaller wrote:
> > For some things .. not necessarily this one .. DynArray
> > would be great .. but it creates a dependence on an
> > unstable third party LGPL'd library. I can neither
> > lift the relevant code (due to the licence),
> > nor lightly require my clients install that library
> > just to build my product. [I have seriously considered
> > requiring ExtLib]
>
> I almost consider ExtLib to be part of "standard OCaml", along with
> PCRE.  It's easier just to have both installed whenever I set up a new
> machine with OCaml, than to have to worry about writing the extra code
> to simulate functionality already in ExtLib.

That is reasonable for an Ocaml developer (which I am),
but not as clearly reasonable for a *client* of my
code who is probably not. I feel the need to supply
a system consisting of the smallest number of
separately installable components for obvious
reasons: every dependence on a third party component
makes my package fragile. For example, I'd like it
to install on Win32 native.. I don't have control
of third party packages so how do i respond when
a client has a problem?

Note the problem *isn't* the quality of the third
party code! Its sure to be better than mine :)
I have a client that installs my package on 5 different
platforms (his product is a multi-platform game, it runs
on OSX, Linux[both PC and XBox], OS9, Cygwin and Mingw
at present).

This problem may be substantially corrected by GODI
because it provides a *unified* installation system.

voice: 061-2-9660-0850,
snail: PO BOX 401 Glebe NSW 2037 Australia