* [Caml-list] Ocaml automation update
@ 2004-09-04 15:36 Alex Baretta
From: Alex Baretta @ 2004-09-04 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ocaml; +Cc: Rouaix, Francois

I wish to let you know that the first application of ocaml to realtime
industrial control has succeeded. The machine has passed all integration
tests at the customers site and is already operating at its full potential.

Baretta DE&IT is currently developing a hard realtime CNC architecture
based on Ocaml for motion control and CAM applications, aiming at
submillisecond sampling periods.

The full code is released to the customer under the GPL, although we
still have not put up a web site to foster the development of logical
and numerical control Ocaml applications based on our free kernel
library. Hopefully we will have time to put up such a web site soon.

Alex

http://www.barettadeit.com/
Baretta DE&IT
A division of Baretta SRL

tel. 02 370 111 55
fax. 02 370 111 54

Our technology:
http://www.asxcaml.org/
http://www.freerp.org/

* Re: [Caml-list] Ocaml automation update
@ 2004-09-04 16:17 ` skaller
From: skaller @ 2004-09-04 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Baretta; +Cc: Ocaml

On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 01:36, Alex Baretta wrote:
> I wish to let you know that the first application of ocaml to realtime
> industrial control has succeeded.

Nice job! Now we all want to know -- how did the
Ocaml GC stand up? How did you tweak it? :)

voice: 061-2-9660-0850,
snail: PO BOX 401 Glebe NSW 2037 Australia

* Re: [Caml-list] Ocaml automation update
@ 2004-09-19 18:19   ` Alex Baretta
From: Alex Baretta @ 2004-09-19 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: skaller; +Cc: Alex Baretta, Ocaml

skaller wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 01:36, Alex Baretta wrote:
>
>>I wish to let you know that the first application of ocaml to realtime
>>industrial control has succeeded.
>

> Nice job! Now we all want to know -- how did the
> Ocaml GC stand up? How did you tweak it? :)

Sorry for not answering earlier. GC simpòy is not an issue. We allocate
a lot, but newly allocated blocks tend to have a very short life. The GC
  is kept latent during PLC rounds and activated between rounds with
heap compaction disabled. The full_major collection is an order of
magnitude faster than the cycle time we require, and since we run it
sistematically between rounds it runs in constant and predictable time.

The only unpredictable latencies are due to heap compaction, but we only
run heap compaction when the system is known to be in quiescent state
until user input.

Alex

* Re: [Caml-list] Ocaml automation update
@ 2004-09-19 21:26     ` I R T
From: I R T @ 2004-09-19 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Baretta; +Cc: skaller, Alex Baretta, Ocaml

Alex Baretta <alex@baretta.com> writes:

>>> I wish to let you know that the first application of ocaml to
>>> realtime industrial control has succeeded.

Good stuff !
May lambda and inria bless you ! :-)