* ocamlopt for ppc64
@ 2004-12-19 12:47 lafitte
From: lafitte @ 2004-12-19 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: lafitte

Hi all,

I have a bunch of PowerPC 970FX running 64-bit linux.
I wish for ocamlopt for this architecture.
Has anyone done the changes to the asm code generator
to take into account the 64 bit architecture?
I'm thinking of doing it myself but I'm afraid to forget
something somewhere... and I'm no ocaml asm code generator
nor PowerPC expert.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Gregory

* Re: [Caml-list] ocamlopt for ppc64
@ 2004-12-20 14:49 ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2004-12-20 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lafitte; +Cc: caml-list

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 01:47:30PM +0100, lafitte@cui.unige.ch wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a bunch of PowerPC 970FX running 64-bit linux.
> I wish for ocamlopt for this architecture.
> Has anyone done the changes to the asm code generator
> to take into account the 64 bit architecture?
> I'm thinking of doing it myself but I'm afraid to forget
> something somewhere... and I'm no ocaml asm code generator
> nor PowerPC expert.
> Any help is greatly appreciated!

Well, what OS are you running on it ? It is not as easy, as you need a true
ppc64 userland. which is right now provided only by a few linux distributions.
I may have some interest in doing this, but not before next year (first i need
a ppc64 debian kernel and glibc for it to work, i already have a biarch
compiler).

Friendly,

Sven Luther

* Re: [Caml-list] ocamlopt for ppc64
@ 2004-12-21  0:17   ` lafitte
From: lafitte @ 2004-12-21  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Luther; +Cc: caml-list

I do have a true ppc64 userland... (64bit kernel, gcc, linker, libraries;
"configure" rightly sees a 64-bit architecture...)
I'd like to have a 64bit ocamlopt to run my programs that would greatly
benefit from fast large integer arithmetic.
By the way, it would be great to also have a BigNum library that uses the
Altivec/VMX capabilities of the 970FX... another project...

I also have another ppc computer with a 64bit kernel and a mixed
32bit/64bit userland (SUSE).
ocamlopt compiles in 32bit on this computer
("configure" says it's a 32bit architecture (which is good... since
with SUSE linux, gcc is by default 32bit) and I did
./configure -host powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu because
it doesn't know what is powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu for ocamlopt)
and it works well... (3.08.2, not 3.08.1, I guess that's part
of the bug fixes)

Gregory Lafitte

@ 2004-12-21  8:25     ` Ville-Pertti Keinonen
From: Ville-Pertti Keinonen @ 2004-12-21  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lafitte; +Cc: Sven Luther, caml-list

On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 01:17 +0100, lafitte@cui.unige.ch wrote:
> I do have a true ppc64 userland... (64bit kernel, gcc, linker, libraries;
> "configure" rightly sees a 64-bit architecture...)
> I'd like to have a 64bit ocamlopt to run my programs that would greatly
> benefit from fast large integer arithmetic.

For large enough integers, you may well see considerable improvements
even when running bytecode just by adding a few simple CPU-specific
operations to the num library.

Note that currently OCaml bignums need a small fix to work correctly on
64-bit architectures (see bug 3299).