* RE: [Caml-list] Mingw Ocaml-3.08.2 "Program too big to fit in memory"?
@ 2005-01-12 11:29 Dominic Cooney
From: Dominic Cooney @ 2005-01-12 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fvdp, caml-list; +Cc: simeon

I think this is a recent Mingw problem? I just tried building Ocaml 3.08.1
with the same version of Mingw and the same problem occurs, where it was
working in the past with an older Mingw setup.

From: Dominic Cooney @ 2005-01-13 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: simeon

FYI: I think the problem is related to a rule (which contained a failing mv
command because of Cygwin's .exe mangling) in stdlib/Makefile.nt; if I amend
the following rule, everything seems to work:

camlheader camlheader_ur: headernt.c ../config/Makefile
	# $(BYTECC) $(BYTECCCOMPOPTS) $(BYTECCLINKOPTS) -o camlheader.exe
headernt.c
	# mv camlheader.exe camlheader.
	$(BYTECC) $(BYTECCCOMPOPTS) $(BYTECCLINKOPTS)
-DRUNTIME_NAME='"$(BINDIR)/ocamlrun"' headernt.c -o tmpheader$(EXE)
	strip tmpheader$(EXE)
	mv tmpheader$(EXE) camlheader
	cp camlheader camlheader_ur

These changes are in line with the camlheader, camlheader_ur rules in
Makefile.

Dominic Cooney

I think this is a recent Mingw problem? I just tried building Ocaml 3.08.1
with the same version of Mingw and the same problem occurs, where it was
working in the past with an older Mingw setup.

I think the binaries are corrupt. Here's the output of dumpbin on ocamlc.exe
and ocamlc.opt.exe (note that ocamlc.exe doesn't work, and ocamlc.opt.exe
does work):

Microsoft (R) COFF/PE Dumper Version 8.00.40607.85

Dump of file ocamlc.exe
ocamlc.exe : warning LNK4048: Invalid format file; ignored

  Summary

C:\working\OCAMLM~1.2\bin>dumpbin ocamlc.opt.exe
Microsoft (R) COFF/PE Dumper Version 8.00.40607.85

Dump of file ocamlc.opt.exe

File Type: EXECUTABLE IMAGE

  Summary

        2000 .bss