* MacOS self-extracting binary
@ 2005-05-03 14:55 Mary Fernandez
From: Mary Fernandez @ 2005-05-03 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

Greetings,

I just installed the MacOS self-extracting binary.
Two problems:

1. there is no doc that specifies
where it automatically installs itself and
2. there is no way to specify an alternative
installation directory.

Where does it install by default?
Thanks! Mary
--
Mary Fernandez <mff@research.att.com>
AT&T Labs - Research

* Re: [Caml-list] MacOS self-extracting binary
@ 2005-05-03 15:45 ` William D. Neumann
From: William D. Neumann @ 2005-05-03 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mary Fernandez; +Cc: Caml List

On Tue, 3 May 2005, Mary Fernandez wrote:

> 1. there is no doc that specifies
> where it automatically installs itself and
> 2. there is no way to specify an alternative
> installation directory.
>
> Where does it install by default?
> Thanks! Mary

It installs by defoult in /usr/local/{bin | lib/ocaml | man/man(1|3)}

If you pick up the program Pacifist[1], you can easily examine the
contents of pkg files, ond you can also extract the contents to a
non-standard location.

[1] http://www.charlessoft.com/

William D. Neumann

---

"There's just so many extra children, we could just feed the
children to these tigers.  We don't need them, we're not doing
anything with them.

Tigers are noble and sleek; children are loud and messy."

         -- Neko Case

  Think of XML as Lisp for COBOL programmers.

 	-- Tony-A (some guy on /.)

* Re: [Caml-list] MacOS self-extracting binary
@ 2005-05-03 16:52   ` Damien Doligez
From: Damien Doligez @ 2005-05-03 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

On May 3, 2005, at 17:45, William D. Neumann wrote:

> It installs by defoult in /usr/local/{bin | lib/ocaml | man/man(1|3)}

Correct.

> If you pick up the program Pacifist[1], you can easily examine the
> contents of pkg files, ond you can also extract the contents to a
> non-standard location.

In the case of OCaml, it will not work well if you install it in a
non-standard location because the commands need to know where to find
each other and the standard library files.

If you need it somewhere else, you will have to configure and recompile
from
source.

-- Damien