* Godi-problem: setting C-compiler/linker
@ 2005-04-20 14:11 Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2005-04-20 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

we have discovered a linking problem with the OCaml-distribution in
Godi. We want to be able to choose different C-compilers (e.g. gcc33)
when compiling or linking. Unfortunately, Godi hacks the
OCaml-distribution to insert some additional flags for finding shared
libraries. These flags are lost when we want to set a compiler/linker
using "-cc".

We could, of course, hard code these flags into our Makefiles, but
that's not particularly portable. Another way would be to link a dummy
file with flag "-verbose" and use pattern matching on the displayed
command line to extract the correct flags (very hacky, can easily
break).

What would be a better (= simpler, more portable) solution to this problem?

Best regards,
Markus

--
Markus Mottl        http://www.ocaml.info        markus.mottl@gmail.com

* Re: Godi-problem: setting C-compiler/linker
@ 2005-05-04 12:52 ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2005-05-04 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Mittwoch, den 20.04.2005, 10:11 -0400 schrieb Markus Mottl:
> Hi,
>
> we have discovered a linking problem with the OCaml-distribution in
> Godi. We want to be able to choose different C-compilers (e.g. gcc33)
> when compiling or linking. Unfortunately, Godi hacks the
> OCaml-distribution to insert some additional flags for finding shared
> libraries. These flags are lost when we want to set a compiler/linker
> using "-cc".
>
> We could, of course, hard code these flags into our Makefiles, but
> that's not particularly portable. Another way would be to link a dummy
> file with flag "-verbose" and use pattern matching on the displayed
> command line to extract the correct flags (very hacky, can easily
> break).
>
> What would be a better (= simpler, more portable) solution to this problem?

If it is only gcc, it might be an option to use the -V switch. It
selects the version provided the compilers are installed into the same
tree. E.g. gcc -V 3.3 would select the 3.3 version.

I don't have a good answer if this is not an option. What I am generally
missing is an official way to get O'Caml's configuration from the
compiler, i.e. an extended ocamlc -v.

Gerd
Gerd Stolpmann * Viktoriastr. 45 * 64293 Darmstadt * Germany
gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de          http://www.gerd-stolpmann.de