From: Jonathan_T_Bryant <jtbryant@valdosta.edu>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] How INRIA people envision OCaml's parallel future?
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:20:56 -0400	[thread overview]

I don't know if I'm alone in this opinion, but transparency would be
nice.  It would be nice to be able to take full advantage of SMP
machines using things like threads without necessarily writing parallel
code.  Just things like servers are easier to write in this manner (a
project I'm currently working on in OCaml).  A new language is not
necessary and would actually be overkill.  Sure there could be an
interface for manually adjusting which processor a thread runs on, etc.,
but it should not necessarily have to be used to take advantage of SMP.

As far as the GC, am I'm just kinda throwing this out off the cuff, but
couldn't the heap be a shared memory segment that all threads attach to,
thereby allowing easier collection on multiple processors.  All
allocations could be synchronized (via some kind of semaphore) and could
be locked only during a collection.  I know this is a lot harder than
that, but, like I said, it's just an idea...

--Jonathan