* [Caml-list] toplevels / bytecode interpreter
@ 2005-07-01 11:23 Jonathan Roewen
       [not found] ` <1120220353.42c534c1b2b90@imp5-q.free.fr>
From: Jonathan Roewen @ 2005-07-01 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

Can the OCaml bytecode interpreter be embedded in C programs? For
example, a C program that mimics the top-level to a simpler degree.

I'm thinking of changing DST so that it runs a bytecode interpreter on
the bare metal instead of native code. Although, I'm sure I'd need a
lot more libc underneath to get it working compared to native code ;-)

I was also thinking the toplevel might be a good place to start
(though, don't exactly need the shell-like interface...).

Some pointers on general directions to take would be great.

Kindest Regards,

Jonathan Roewen

* Re: [Caml-list] toplevels / bytecode interpreter
@ 2005-07-01 12:36 ` Jean-Marc EBER
       [not found] ` <1120220353.42c534c1b2b90@imp5-q.free.fr>
From: Jean-Marc EBER @ 2005-07-01 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Roewen; +Cc: caml-list

Nive work has been done by Clément Capel on this topic:
http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~capel/eng/toplevel/toplevel.html

Many hacks that were necessary at this time are no more needed due to cleanup
work and necessary extensions done by Xavier before the release of ocaml 3.08, I
think.

But definitively, its possible, yes.

Jean-Marc Eber

@ 2005-07-01 13:57   ` clement.capel
From: clement.capel @ 2005-07-01 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> Hi,
>
> Can the OCaml bytecode interpreter be embedded in C programs? For
> example, a C program that mimics the top-level to a simpler degree.

 yes, you can. I've developed that embedded interpreter you look for :-)
 At current time, It only works on ocaml 3.06, but the modifications to
 perform are quite simple (i think) to make it works with the 3.08.

some links:
http://caml.inria.fr/pub/ml-archives/caml-list/2004/04/f3e4b58960169844f52a582c850028e9.en.html
http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~capel/eng/toplevel/toplevel.html

 regards,