On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 02:05 +0100, Jon Harrop wrote: > How can that be a problem given that you (basically) cannot guarantee > collection anyway? This is an important point because it is hard to answer properly. I would say "I basically trust the Ocaml system to do a good job if it is allowed to". The problem with an arbitrary dummy value being kept around just to fool the Ocaml type system is that it seems to me it may interfere with the requirement that it "be allowed to" do a good job. The problem in a varray implementation using this technique is that it is hidden from the client programmer. -- John Skaller