From: skaller <skaller@users.sourceforge.net>
To: Erik de Castro Lopo <ocaml-erikd@mega-nerd.com>
Cc: caml-list@yquem.inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] OCaml for Industry
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 11:49:39 +1000	[thread overview]

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 09:32 +1000, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

> I suggested it but management said no and I didn't push it.
> Ocaml is in their eyes a rather obsure language. I then suggested
> Java (with ANTLR) but no, then C++, no. In the end it was written
> in standard C with flex/bison. Every time I had to traverses a
> damned linked list in C I though of how easy and foolproof this
> would have been in Ocaml.

The question is .. why did you ask management?
This should be your decision not theirs. They're paying you because
YOU are the expert in software development.

I used Ocaml to develop a translator for a telco:
I didn't ask .. I *told* them how I was doing it.
I myself raised the issue of maintainability, and even
suggested a teacher be paid to train other programmers.

I made it quite clear that in the available time-frame
with the available resources .. there was no possible
alternative. Haskell could have done it .. but I
don't know Haskell. C++? Java? NO WAY!

--
John Skaller <skaller at users dot sourceforge dot net>