* OCamlDuce 3.08.4
@ 2005-08-24 16:53 Alain Frisch
From: Alain Frisch @ 2005-08-24 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml users

Dear OCaml users,

OCamlDuce 3.08.4 is now available (http://www.cduce.org/ocaml#ocaml).
As the version number says, it has been synchronized with OCaml 3.08.4.

More importantly and due to overwhelming popular demand, OCamlDuce now
comes with some amount of binary-compatibility with OCaml. This should
make it easier to try OCamlDuce.

OCaml-generated  files (.cmi/.cmx/.cmo) can be used by OCamlDuce without
recompilation. You can thus install OCamlDuce and re-use already
installed libraries from an existing OCaml installation. Provided that
the OCaml and OCamlDuce versions match, of course.

It is even possible to have a mixed OCaml/OCamlDuce project, where
OCamlDuce is only used to compile some modules whose interface are pure
OCaml (OCaml and OCamlDuce produce identical .cmi files for the same
pure OCaml .mli file).

Have fun!

-- Alain

* Re: [Caml-list] OCamlDuce 3.08.4
@ 2005-08-25 18:53   ` Alain Frisch
From: Alain Frisch @ 2005-08-25 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: skaller; +Cc: caml users

skaller wrote:
> Just to confirm please, my understanding is that there is a good
> chance OcamlDuce will just become Ocaml (perhaps Ocaml 4.0?)

Not at all. Where did you get this impression?

-- Alain

* Re: [Caml-list] OCamlDuce 3.08.4
@ 2005-08-25 18:53 ` skaller
From: skaller @ 2005-08-25 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain Frisch; +Cc: caml users

--
John Skaller <skaller at users dot sourceforge dot net>

* Re: [Caml-list] OCamlDuce 3.08.4
@ 2005-08-25 19:18     ` skaller
From: skaller @ 2005-08-25 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain Frisch; +Cc: caml users

On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 20:53 +0200, Alain Frisch wrote:
> skaller wrote:
> > Just to confirm please, my understanding is that there is a good
> > chance OcamlDuce will just become Ocaml (perhaps Ocaml 4.0?)
>
> Not at all. Where did you get this impression?

Don't know .. but then the question .. why not?

--

@ 2005-08-26  0:00       ` Lukasz Stafiniak
From: Lukasz Stafiniak @ 2005-08-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml users

> On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 20:53 +0200, Alain Frisch wrote:
> > skaller wrote:
> > > Just to confirm please, my understanding is that there is a good
> > > chance OcamlDuce will just become Ocaml (perhaps Ocaml 4.0?)
> >
> > Not at all. Where did you get this impression?
>
> Don't know .. but then the question .. why not?

What about a notion of supported extensions. These would not be
included into the main distribution, but each of them would have a
branch extending each other, so the user can bake any combination (or
merger) of them.

Best Regards,
Lukasz

* Re: [Caml-list] OCamlDuce 3.08.4
@ 2005-08-26 17:05         ` Alain Frisch
From: Alain Frisch @ 2005-08-26 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lukasz Stafiniak; +Cc: caml users

Lukasz Stafiniak wrote:
> What about a notion of supported extensions. These would not be
> included into the main distribution, but each of them would have a
> branch extending each other, so the user can bake any combination (or
> merger) of them.

That's interesting, but I don't know how this should work in practice.
Each extension might change in a significant way the type-checking
and/or code-generation passes. OCamlDuce affects the type-checker in a
very limited and modular way (except that two passes of the ML
type-checker are run sequentially), but other extensions might really
change in deeper ways the type algebra, the structure of the
type-checker, or other aspects of the implementation. There are both
theoretical issues (interaction of exotic type-checking features)
and practical ones (how to design an extensible compiler).

For what concerns John's question about the integration of OCamlDuce in
OCaml, there are many answers. 1) I'm not directly involved in the
development of OCaml. 2) The -Duce part, taken from CDuce, is a big
piece of code which still evolves in some experimental ways and which
couldn't be easily maintained by someone else in its current state. 3)
OCaml is a general purpose language, and the extension adds support for
a specific domain (and OCaml is already big enough). 4) One of the
design guidelines for OCamlDuce was to obtain an easy merger between two
existing implementations; due to this constraint the result is not as
elegant or integrated with the rest of the language as one might expect
from an ML+CDuce merger written from scratch (but it works). The
constraint of being able to compile any existing OCaml program with
OCamlDuce, for instance, resulted in the introduction of explicit
delimiters {{..}} for all the new constructions, which is syntactically
heavy and theoretically useless.  5) It's too early to say whether
OCamlDuce is useful or not compared to a simpler solution with two
compilers (OCaml, CDuce).

-- Alain

* Re: [Caml-list] OCamlDuce 3.08.4
@ 2005-08-26 23:21           ` skaller