* Compiling to OCaml bytecode
@ 2005-09-09  5:22 Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2005-09-09  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I am interested in improving the performance of a simple term-level
interpreter. As OCaml's bytecode is so fast, I'd like to replace the
interpreter with a JIT compiler that compiles to OCaml bytecode and then uses
OCaml's bytecode interpreter to execute the generated code efficiently and
handle the results.

Does the OCaml distribution expose everything needed to do this? I assume the
Dynlink module is where I should be looking. I've never used it before but it
looks as though it only loads from file (the "loadfile" function), so I'd
have to compile to a .cmo file and load that. What is the easiest way to
recover the result? If the necessary functionality is not already exposed,
could it and/or what are the odds that it will be added?

Also, is a bytecode-compiled JIT bytecode compiler likely to outperform a
native-code-compiled term-level interpreter? I assume the JIT compiler would
itself need to be compiled to bytecode in order to provide the bytecode
interpreter for the generated code.

Objective CAML for Scientists