* Stdlib
@ 2005-11-01  0:07 Jonathan Bryant
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jonathan Bryant @ 2005-11-01  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Wow, guys.  Thanks for the responses.  That really cleared up my
question :).  I (unfortunately) have to learn some of the STL for
another project and the thought occurred to me.

On another note, I would love to do this other project in OCaml, but it
is OpenGL intensive (read: based) and LablGL drives me nuts.  The named
argument thing drives me up the wall because it's more information that
I don't want to have to learn and internalize.  If the author of that
package reads this list, then I apologize.  You've done a fantastic job
of mapping the API, but I really do not like the OCaml syntax for both
Labeled and Optional arguments in general.  Does anyone know of an
OpenGL package that is /complete/ and /not/ labeled?  There is, of
course, the option of writing a module/set of modules that use the
existing C stubs an are not labled, but that would be a last-ditch
effort.

Thanks!

--Jonathan Bryant
  jtbryant@valdosta.edu
  Student Intern
  Unix System Operations
  VSU Information Technology

"Das Leben ohne Music ist einfach ein Irrtum, eine Strapaze, ein" Exil."
("Life without music is simply an error, a pain, an exile.")
--Frederich Nietzsche

"The three cardinal values of a programmer are laziness, impatience, and
hubris."
--Perl Man Page

* Stdlib
@ 2005-10-31 14:41 Jonathan Bryant
From: Jonathan Bryant @ 2005-10-31 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Quick (and rather random question) about the standard library.  I
noticed that, like the STL, many of the modules are very similar and
implement many of the same functions (iter, map, etc.).  Unlike the STL
or the Java Standard API, these modules are each completely
independent.  Why hasn't there been a push to do something like
functorize these modules?  For example: List, Array, Hashtbl, Set, and
Map are all collections.  Couldn't you factor out something to make it
easier to extend the library, sort of like the Java API?  Parametric
Polymorphism handles the generics of the elements of the set, so
couldn't the algorithms be factored out leaving three distinct parts
(Elements, Collections of Elements, Operations on Collections), sort of
like in the STL?

I know Java and C++ are bad words here, but you have to admit that at
least that part of Sun's library is rather well designed as is, for the
most part, the STL.  Give the devil his due, I guess... :)