* [Caml-list] Creating ocaml libraries
@ 2005-11-02  1:44 Jonathan Roewen
From: Jonathan Roewen @ 2005-11-02  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi List,

I'm having a problem writing my kernel (where user apps share the same
application space/libraries).

The problem stems from in_channel & out_channel types. I want to map
these onto a file system layer implemented by the kernel.

Whilst I don't mind making small modifications to the standard library
internals, what I don't want to have to do is build the kernel into
the standard library...

So, say in pervasives.ml, I might have something like type in_channel
= VFS.file_stream, and make all the functions that work on in/out
channels to call VFS functions.

Now, my question here is: how can I compile stdlib.cma without having
to have the .cmo file(s) present? Or even written for that matter?

One last question: could the VFS.ml implementation call functions in
pervasives still? (Though, not the IO functions, unless there was some
magic to not make it fall into an endless loop). Say land, lor,
char_of_int, etc.?

Kindest Regards,

Jonathan