From: David Teller <David.Teller@ens-lyon.org>
To: OCaml <caml-list@yquem.inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] The best way to circumvent the lack of Thread.kill ?
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 18:29:03 +0000	[thread overview]

Let me rephrase. I don't want to kill just any thread, I want to send an
exception to whoever is actually synchronising on a channel. Perhaps any
exception can be "distantly thrown", or perhaps only one specific kind.
Something like

 let sender c =
   ignore Event.sync (Event.send c 1);
      (**Event.send passes an information,
         while Event.sync may pass control.*)
   ignore Event.sync (Event.send c 2);
   ignore Event.sync (Event.send c 4);
   ignore Event.sync (Event.kill c)

 and receiver f c =
   f Event.sync (Event.receive c);
       (**Event.receive receive an information,
          while Event.sync may pass control.*)
   f Event.sync (Event.receive c);
   f Event.sync (Event.receive c);
   f Event.sync (Event.receive c);
	(*Actually, this operation throws
          Event.Closed_channel*)
   f Event.sync (Event.receive c)

 in
   let c = Event.new_channel ()
   in
     ignore (Thread.create sender c);
     try
       receiver print_int c
     with
       x -> (*...*)

 In the case of more than two threads waiting for communication on a
single channel, I would say that they all should receive the exception
during their next Event.sync.

 I agree that this is quite close to your idea of sending thunk
functions, but the additional indirection strikes me as odd for
something which to me looks like a primitive.

Cheers,
 David

--
Read, Write, and Publish Standard eBooks
  Free, Open Software, Open Standards and multi-platform