* Re: [Caml-list] Slashdot
@ 2005-12-02 21:51 ` David Teller
From: David Teller @ 2005-12-02 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

By opposition to the headline, it's not the government, just the SACEM
(French RIAA) screaming bloody murder, as usual.

Cheers,
 David

--
Read, Write, and Publish Standard eBooks
  Free, Open Software, Open Standards and multi-platform

* Slashdot
@ 2005-12-02 22:24 Jonathan Bryant
From: Jonathan Bryant @ 2005-12-02 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

@ 2005-12-02 23:24 ` Jacques Garrigue
From: Jacques Garrigue @ 2005-12-02 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jtbryant; +Cc: caml-list

From: Jonathan Bryant <jtbryant@valdosta.edu>

> Saw this article on Slashdot.  OCaml is French and open source: should
> we be worried?
>
> http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/12/02/2040237&tid=123&tid=185&tid=219&tid=106

Classical slashdot(?): this is just a misquote, as the department of
culture hasn't done more than to host a press conference by
SACEM, SNEP and SCPP, which are the equivalents of RIAA and MPAA.
The original (translated) sentence is

  Friday November 18th, 2005, French Department of Culture. SNEP and
  SCPP have told Free Software authors: ...

And slashdot replaced the full stop after Culture by a comma, implying
that the department of culture was saying that, whereas this only
denotes a location (the original French version uses "au".)

Jacques Garrigue

* Re: [Caml-list] Slashdot
@ 2005-12-03  3:11   ` Jonathan Bryant
From: Jonathan Bryant @ 2005-12-03  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

This is exactly why I asked.  Thanks for the info.

--Jonathan