* Embedding the OCaml compiler
@ 2006-07-25  0:50 Joel Reymont
From: Joel Reymont @ 2006-07-25  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Folks,

Am I correct that embedding the OCaml compiler would require me to
release my code as open source?

I was thinking of using OCaml as the DSL (with camlp4) like the
LexiFI guys do but I think I would need to embed the compiler.

	Thanks, Joel

* Re: [Caml-list] Embedding the OCaml compiler
@ 2006-07-25  3:28 ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2006-07-25  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Tuesday 25 July 2006 01:50, Joel Reymont wrote:
> Am I correct that embedding the OCaml compiler would require me to
> release my code as open source?
>
> I was thinking of using OCaml as the DSL (with camlp4) like the
> LexiFI guys do but I think I would need to embed the compiler.

I believe you can invoke the OCaml compilers from closed-source software. You
can even bundle the OCaml compilers with your software and use them
transparently.

Objective CAML for Scientists

* Re: [Caml-list] Embedding the OCaml compiler
@ 2006-07-25  3:41   ` skaller
From: skaller @ 2006-07-25  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Harrop; +Cc: caml-list

On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 04:28 +0100, Jon Harrop wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 July 2006 01:50, Joel Reymont wrote:
> > Am I correct that embedding the OCaml compiler would require me to
> > release my code as open source?
> >
> > I was thinking of using OCaml as the DSL (with camlp4) like the
> > LexiFI guys do but I think I would need to embed the compiler.
>
> I believe you can invoke the OCaml compilers from closed-source software. You
> can even bundle the OCaml compilers with your software and use them
> transparently.

You just can't modify the sources directly. If you need to
change anything you have to supply the original source
and set of patches or equivalent. [Q public licence]

* Re: [Caml-list] Embedding the OCaml compiler
@ 2006-07-25  9:54 ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2006-07-25  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Reymont; +Cc: caml-list

Am Dienstag, den 25.07.2006, 01:50 +0100 schrieb Joel Reymont:
> Folks,
>
> Am I correct that embedding the OCaml compiler would require me to
> release my code as open source?
>
> I was thinking of using OCaml as the DSL (with camlp4) like the
> LexiFI guys do but I think I would need to embed the compiler.

As far as I know LexiFI has a contract with INRIA allowing them to embed
the compiler without having to release their modification to the public.

Gerd
Gerd Stolpmann * Viktoriastr. 45 * 64293 Darmstadt * Germany
gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de          http://www.gerd-stolpmann.de
Phone: +49-6151-153855                  Fax: +49-6151-997714