From: Gerd Stolpmann <info@gerd-stolpmann.de>
To: Guillaume Rousse <Guillaume.Rousse@inria.fr>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] findlib help: how to specify dependencies against non-findlib packages ?
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 12:33:11 +0200	[thread overview]

Am Montag, den 02.10.2006, 11:24 +0200 schrieb Guillaume Rousse:
> I'm trying to add findlibsupport for camlimages.
>
> It has a dependency on graphics, which is easily handled by adding a
> require variable in META file, as graphics provides findlib support.
>
> However, camlimages can also get compiled with either lablgtk or
> lablgtk2 support (not both of them, as they have conflicting symbols),
> but none of those packages have findlib support. It means I can't
> ressort to smart dependency computation. I may eventually use the
> linkopts variable to add explicit linking flags (such as -I
> place/to/lablgtk2 lablgtk.cma), but this seem to be only possible for
> linking, not for compiling, whereas I also need to pass -I
> place/to/lablgtk2 option during compilation.
>
> So, is this just not possible at all ?

Of course, it is possible: Just write your own META file for
lablgtk/lablgtk2 - this is what distros like GODI and Debian do. The
META file need not to be in the same directory as the library if you add
a line

directory="/path/where/the/library/really/is"

to the META file, so you can easily unify lablgtk's installation scheme
with the findlib requirements.

For your convenience, I attached the (generated) META file GODI uses for
lablgtk and lablgtk2.

Gerd
Gerd Stolpmann * Viktoriastr. 45 * 64293 Darmstadt * Germany
gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de          http://www.gerd-stolpmann.de
Phone: +49-6151-153855                  Fax: +49-6151-997714